Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Teo

Default Add space on / with additional disk

Hello everyone,
I'm searching for a way to add space on / adding one hdd.
I don't want to change partitions or similar, only add free space of a
second hdd to /.
Is that possible??
My problem was born from insufficient space for upgrade the distro on a
remote (monitorless and keyboardless) pc on my lan.
In alternative I tried to mount free space in /var/cache/apt, but the
update-manager still say that there's not enough space on / to install..
Thanx,
Teo.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Vincent

I'm searching for a way to add space on / adding one hdd.
I don't want to change partitions or similar, only add free space of a
second hdd to /.
Is that possible??
My problem was born from insufficient space for upgrade the distro on a

remote (monitorless and keyboardless) pc on my lan.
In alternative I tried to mount free space in /var/cache/apt, but the
update-manager still say that there's not enough space on / to install..
Thanx,

Teo.

I'm not an expert, but I'm afraid it's impossible. What you could do is set the hard drive to mount to a place where a lot of files are stored. Perhaps it'd make for a good home directory? If you're going to do that, be sure to move over the files that are currently in that directory

--
Vincent

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Teo

Vincent ha scritto:

> On 5/13/08, *Teo* <teo666@linuxmail.org <mailto:teo666@linuxmail.org>>
> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
> I'm searching for a way to add space on / adding one hdd.
> I don't want to change partitions or similar, only add free space of a
> second hdd to /.
> Is that possible??
> My problem was born from insufficient space for upgrade the distro on a
> remote (monitorless and keyboardless) pc on my lan.
> In alternative I tried to mount free space in /var/cache/apt, but the
> update-manager still say that there's not enough space on / to install..
> Thanx,
> Teo.
>

> I'm not an expert, but I'm afraid it's impossible. What you could do is
> set the hard drive to mount to a place where a lot of files are stored.
> Perhaps it'd make for a good home directory? If you're going to do that,
> be sure to move over the files that are currently in that directory
>
> --
> Vincent

Ok, so I have to copy the content of a folder to a new partition, then
mount the new (not empty) partition in the (old) empty folder..
..sure that space freed by moving could be used for installation..right??

But where apt-get, or better update-manager, stores the downloaded files
for installation??
And, if I'd mount a partition on that (unknown yet..) folder the program
(during upgrade) could detect enough space?

I like this kind of challenge..and linux..
Thanx,
Teo.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Vincent

Vincent ha scritto:

> On 5/13/08, *Teo* <teo666@linuxmail.org <mailto:teo666@linuxmail.org>>

> wrote:
>
>**** Hello everyone,
>**** I'm searching for a way to add space on / adding one hdd.
>**** I don't want to change partitions or similar, only add free space of a
>**** second hdd to /.

>**** Is that possible??
>**** My problem was born from insufficient space for upgrade the distro on a
>**** remote (monitorless and keyboardless) pc on my lan.
>**** In alternative I tried to mount free space in /var/cache/apt, but the

>**** update-manager still say that there's not enough space on / to install..
>**** Thanx,
>**** Teo.
>

> I'm not an expert, but I'm afraid it's impossible. What you could do is

> set the hard drive to mount to a place where a lot of files are stored.
> Perhaps it'd make for a good home directory? If you're going to do that,
> be sure to move over the files that are currently in that directory

> --
> Vincent

Ok, so I have to copy the content of a folder to a new partition, then
mount the new (not empty) partition in the (old) empty folder..
..sure that space freed by moving could be used for installation..right??

Well, let's say you want to move /nonexistent folder to the new hard drive. First, you move everything contained in that folder to /home/yourusername/backup . Then you set the mount point of the new hard drive to /nonexistent and move the files in the backup back to that folder.

I wouldn't know how to do that with critical folders though, but surely there's someone on this list who is better at this subject who can explain

But where apt-get, or better update-manager, stores the downloaded files
for installation??
When a package is installed, files get spread out across the place. For example, the file to actually run the program is often located in /usr/bin, while the application's files are stored in /usr/share. The package itself is archived in /var/cache/apt, and so on... That's why this'd be so problematic. Your home folder might be a good idea, but a lot easier when doing a new installation than moving an existing Xubuntu installation.

And, if I'd mount a partition on that (unknown yet..) folder the program
(during upgrade) could detect enough space?

I like this kind of challenge..and linux..
You're not the only one

Thanx,
Teo.

--
Vincent

Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Teo

Vincent ha scritto:

> [...]
> there's someone on this list who is better at this subject who can
> explain
>
> But where apt-get, or better update-manager, stores the downloaded files
> for installation??
>

> When a package is installed, files get spread out across the place. For
> example, the file to actually run the program is often located in
> /usr/bin, while the application's files are stored in /usr/share. The
> package itself is archived in /var/cache/apt, and so on... That's why
> this'd be so problematic. Your home folder might be a good idea, but a
> lot easier when doing a new installation than moving an existing Xubuntu
> installation.
>
> And, if I'd mount a partition on that (unknown yet..) folder the program
> (during upgrade) could detect enough space?
>
> I like this kind of challenge..and linux..

I'm still waiting for a response..but in the meantime I searched in
google and found the magic word: LVM!!

Now my new question is:

is that possible to convert my old root partition to LVM without loss of
data and add more space expanding over my empty partition on other hdd?

Thanx all!!
Teo.