Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Adam Funk

Default XFCE4 hangs after login but GNOME fixes it?

Since upgrading from gutsy to hardy, I've noticed that the XFCE4 login
often hangs after the gdm screen disappears but before the mouse
appears. When this happens, I press Ctl-Alt-BS, log in using GNOME
(just for this session), log out, and log in to XFCE4 again --- and it
works.

Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 AM
David Curtis

Adam Funk wrote:
> Since upgrading from gutsy to hardy, I've noticed that the XFCE4 login
> often hangs after the gdm screen disappears but before the mouse
> appears. When this happens, I press Ctl-Alt-BS, log in using GNOME
> (just for this session), log out, and log in to XFCE4 again --- and it
> works.
>
> Any ideas what is wrong and how to fix it?

No, as I do not use Gnome. But a good place to start would be to read
/var/log/xorg.0.log, /var/log/syslog, and /var/log/messages to look for
any error messages coming from Xfdesktop, GDM or X itself.

After the login/startup procedure hangs does a Ctl-Alt-F2 get you to a
virtual terminal? If so this is when you want to read the above files as
an X restart (Ctl-Alt-BS) would perhaps overwrite them.

HTH,

Dave.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Adam Funk

On 2008-05-13, David Curtis wrote:

> Adam Funk wrote:
>> Since upgrading from gutsy to hardy, I've noticed that the XFCE4 login
>> often hangs after the gdm screen disappears but before the mouse
>> appears. When this happens, I press Ctl-Alt-BS, log in using GNOME
>> (just for this session), log out, and log in to XFCE4 again --- and it
>> works.

> No, as I do not use Gnome. But a good place to start would be to read
> /var/log/xorg.0.log, /var/log/syslog, and /var/log/messages to look for
> any error messages coming from Xfdesktop, GDM or X itself.
>
> After the login/startup procedure hangs does a Ctl-Alt-F2 get you to a
> virtual terminal? If so this is when you want to read the above files as
> an X restart (Ctl-Alt-BS) would perhaps overwrite them.

GNOME was a red herring. If I hit Ctl-Alt-BS and log in again using
XFCE4, it often works. Does this ~/.xsession-errors explain anything?

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_GB.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
** Message: Another GPG agent already running

/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
Agent pid 21182

Thanks,
Adam