Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Celejar

Default Installation

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:52:38 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Additionally, IIUC, Microsoft retains copyright, and only grants the
> > OEM and you various rights to use and distribute the software. You, the
> > end user, are granted by the OEM (in accordance with a right Microsoft
> > has granted *it*) the right to use the software, but not to resell it
> > (except as part of the sale of the entire computer). You therefore
> > simply have no right to resell it, and any customer of yours has
> > acquires no right to use it.
>
> [shrugs] I don't know about that and I don't care. If someone would
> buy it, it's not up to me what they do with it.

I'm not sure if you're expressing your personal morality here, or your
understanding of the law. If the latter, you are wrong, at least as a
matter of US law (although you state in a different post that "American
law doesn't apply here", whatever that means).

Celejar

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
Celejar

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:24:22 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > You do not cite any sources for your various assertions, and I believe
> > you are incorrect as a matter of US law.
>
> American law doesn't apply here. Letting that aside: What is a copy?
> When you duplicate software, you get an identical duplicate which is
> indistinguishable from other duplicates of the same software.

Are you raising some sort of philosophical objection to the law, or
actually explaining what you think the law is?

> It's the same when archiving bills, for example. They seem to have come
> up with some law in Germany that requires you to store "the original"
> document --- which is bullshit because you can duplicate the document as
> many times as you want, and there isn't such a thing as an "original"
> anymore. (Got a new storage system/media and copied the data over? Had
> to recover from a backup? Defragmented the file system? Bad luck,
> because thinking in these terms means you violate the law when you do
> that because you don't have "the original" anymore ...) I don't know
> what became of it and how people are supposed to deal with an impossible
> requirement like that.

Celejar

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 PM
lee

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 22:52:38 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> [shrugs] I don't know about that and I don't care. If someone would
>> buy it, it's not up to me what they do with it.
>
> I'm not sure if you're expressing your personal morality here, or your
> understanding of the law. If the latter, you are wrong, at least as a
> matter of US law (although you state in a different post that "American
> law doesn't apply here", whatever that means).

It means that American law doesn't apply here. Perhaps you are in
America and it applies to you --- I'm not, so it doesn't apply to me.

I've bought something, so I can sell it. I haven't signed any contract
whatsoever that says that I can't sell it. That's all there is to it.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-24-2012, 10:30 PM
lee

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> I think an OS should cost even more (yes, also Linux, why not?). You only
> need to compare what it can be done with a car and an OS. There's no
> comparison.

Why should it cost more? And why compare it with a car when there is no
comparison?

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-24-2012, 10:37 PM
lee

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 23:10:19 +0200, lee wrote:
>
>> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

>>> They do provide support as long as you pay for it, of course. Laziness
>>> has a price.
>>
>> What does that have to do with laziness?
>
> (...)
>
> The "lazy" adjective applies here for users who are not interested in
> knowing about their products or systems so someone needs to care for them
> on his/her regard when a problem arises.

You mean people who need someone to come out to their computer and fix
it?

>>> (...)
>>>
>>> Then kindly tell me why you seem to ignore a fact that everybody is
>>> aware of.
>>
>> Oh now we are at the "everybody knows ..." way of argumentation. That
>> you deduct something doesn't make it a fact, and that everybody thinks
>> they are aware of something doesn't do that, either.
>
> Okay, then please _describe in detail_ what's what you find that hard or
> what is taking your time at the Windows OEM installation process. Maybe
> choosing your username, selecting a good password or setting up the
> current time zone? :-)

It took quite a while to install, then you had to install a number of
patches, and in some cases, there were some difficulties. I didn't say
it was hard.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 PM
lee

Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:24:22 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > You do not cite any sources for your various assertions, and I believe
>> > you are incorrect as a matter of US law.
>>
>> American law doesn't apply here. Letting that aside: What is a copy?
>> When you duplicate software, you get an identical duplicate which is
>> indistinguishable from other duplicates of the same software.
>
> Are you raising some sort of philosophical objection to the law, or
> actually explaining what you think the law is?

I'm merely asking a question and suggest that there isn't really such a
thing as a copy or an original in the classical sense in many cases.
You are talking about some law that involves "copies" without explaining
what a "copy" is.

--
Debian testing amd64

Old 09-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Chris Bannister

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 02:15:23PM -0700, Weaver wrote:

> On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:11 am, Chris Bannister wrote:
> >
> > Unless you submit it against d-i as a patch, there *is* no onward. If it
> > gets rejected, there should be an explanation as to why.
> >
> > Patches are still being accepted against d-i, but hurry.
>
> Done!

Ummm, can't see it. What is the bugnumber?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 04:12:31PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> Okay, I agree the user does not need to hold a MS in Computer Science as
> a previous requirement for installing an OS and managing a computer.

But an MS in Astronomy (Astrophysics?) won't help you build a telescope
either. Remember, a computer is to Computer Science as a telescope is to
Astronomy.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM
Chris Bannister

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 04:24:46PM +0200, lee wrote:
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> >> Why not? I haven't signed any agreement with them.
> >
> > You agreed to the EULA on install or first boot, same thing.
>
> No, I didn't.

Tell that to Mr Balmer, but don't stand too close.

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Chris Bannister

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:33:02PM +0200, lee wrote:
> They even have begun to use different keys to get into the BIOS quite
> some time ago.

Really? Have you got a source for that allegation?

> That's just retarded, stupid and braindead. Why don't
> they make computers easier to use by always using the same key for it on
> all computers?

LOL, how old are you young grasshopper who does not yet know the devious
ways of this world?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X