Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Scott Ferguson

Default Installation

On 26/07/11 15:22, Peter Burnett wrote:
> I am going through the install of debian unofficial firmware -
> 6.0.2.1-i386-netinst. Now it is asking for 'Debian/GNU Linux 6.0.2.1
> _Squeeze_ Official i386 NETINST Binary-1 20110628 13:01'
>

> I Googled looking for this and did not find much about it. Where is
> this disk located on the Internet so that I can finish the
> installation?
>
> Thanks

When you say "now" - are you still at the install or have you finished
the initial stage and rebooted?
>From the little information you've given it sounds like you may be
referring to the same iso (that you installed from). Which is not the
latest. The version is written in .disk/info on the iso.

If you're certain it's *not* you already have:-
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current/i386/iso-cd/firmware-6.0.2.1-i386-netinst.iso

Cheers

--
The Supreme Court says pornography is anything without artistic merit
that causes sexual thoughts, that's their definition, essentially. No

Old 09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
joe evans

hi

*

trying to install debian in a multi-boot install and two failures.* over wrote MBR in both cases,* deleted partitions and

started over.

*

have a computer booting windows xp prof and fedora15, now working again.

got to the points in installation to choose did not choose to write to MBR and got other choinces like (hda0,2), and (hda0,5) but got

error message that could not write to that device.

windows on sda1

extented on sda2

linux* swap on sda5

fedora on sda6

and

tried debian on sda7

debian partition currently blank but system now working to boot

windows and fedora.

so at the boot partition point what choices should I make?

I know the boot on the fedora went to the MBR and the others subsequent installs

the boot has to be in the root of that partition...had centos5 working but decided to

investigate debian.* successfully installed the centos in the partition and installed the boot

in the root of that partition...all worked fine.

so is debian different here?* the choices I was presented with was as stated above in the

format of hdfa rather than sda as it appeared in the install choices.

thanks in advance for your help.

*

would like to get some experience with debian and get it working with the multi-boot with

windows, fedora, and debian.

*

joe

*

Old 09-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Brian

On Sat 03 Sep 2011 at 18:31:29 +0000, joe evans wrote:

> trying to install debian in a multi-boot install and two failures.
> over wrote MBR in both cases, deleted partitions and started over.

You say below you did not install to the mbr.

> have a computer booting windows xp prof and fedora15, now working
> again. got to the points in installation to choose did not choose to
> write to MBR and got other choinces like (hda0,2), and (hda0,5) but
> got error message that could not write to that device.

The exact wording of the error message slips my memory but it is
essentially a warning. You chose to ignore it. Things didn't work out.
Any reason why you shouldn't install to the mbr?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:33 PM
Cazador

So, here is my problem: i've just installed xubuntu 12.04 with a pen drive. Everything went well but when i reboot the laptop: xubuntu didn't start. I only get a black screen. The only way to start xubuntu is with the installation pen drive. The weird thing it's that it's not a live session: the pen drive its needed to start a normal session. So i've tried to make a fresh installation but it's impossible to* to boot to install, i end up in xubuntu normal session.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Cazador.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:38 PM
TOM TOM

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Cazador <mihijoeldoctor@gmail.com> wrote:

So, here is my problem: i've just installed xubuntu 12.04 with a pen drive. Everything went well but when i reboot the laptop: xubuntu didn't start. I only get a black screen. The only way to start xubuntu is with the installation pen drive. The weird thing it's that it's not a live session: the pen drive its needed to start a normal session. So i've tried to make a fresh installation but it's impossible to* to boot to install, i end up in xubuntu normal session.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Cazador.

could be that you or the installer accidentaly installed grub to the pen drive instead of the laptop's hard disk.
clear the pen drive, put xubuntu on it again(with unetbootin?) and give it another try. Best of luck!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Joshua O'Leary

wrote:

So, here is my problem: i've just installed xubuntu 12.04 with
a pen drive. Everything went well but when i reboot the
laptop: xubuntu didn't start. I only get a black screen. The
only way to start xubuntu is with the installation pen drive.
The weird thing it's that it's not a live session: the pen
drive its needed to start a normal session. So i've tried to
make a fresh installation but it's impossible to* to boot to
install, i end up in xubuntu normal session.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cazador.

could be that you or the installer accidentaly installed
grub to the pen drive instead of the laptop's hard disk.

clear the pen drive, put xubuntu on it again(with
unetbootin?) and give it another try. Best of luck!

It would be easier just to boot off a pen drive, and then reinstall
grub (without reinstalling the whole system). To do this you should
then run:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdX --boot-directory path/to/boot

*Where X is your hard disk's letter, probably an 'a' if you only
have one disk.

Path to boot is the location of your boot folder - you can find this
by opening your hard disk in the file manager, going into the /boot
folder, and copying its path (Control-L).

Hope it goes well

Joshua

Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
"Weaver"

Hello,

I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to the
trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another forum
where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being discussed and in
answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of semi-acceptance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux distribution
once it is installed.
I have sat people down at my box with Iceweasel open and they have started
surfing sites immediately without anything more than a faint inkling there
was anything different.
And there's not much difference in how office suites and email programmes
operate either.
These options sum up what most people use computers for.

The reason they don't is the install procedure.

Installation has made tremendous leaps forward, but the average end user
doesn't have the faintest idea what partitioning is or what it's for. They
have no idea of file systems and until there are FULL explanations of
these two implementations in installation procedures, written on a level a
primary school pupil can understand, things are not going to change.

The biggest hurdle I had to overcome when I first got into Lunux was
learning what cfdisc was all about and what it was for.
Get rid of the hurdles and you facilitate access.
With access comes acceptance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regards,

Weaver

--
"The truth is, there is no Islamic army or terrorist group called Al
Qaida. And any informed intelligence officer knows this. But there is a

Fri Sep 7 23:30:01 2012
h=message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:references
:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding;
bh=+jK4zapGqk8RVV0Nw0EkYpe08qZsgY2KARnIFKXPJi8=;
b=h3DB4H2kw8gbA2AoDOenoYCatBR+PDDTcdoaBrzeJbD+a3M7 wJRrTB/Y1eFE0oAIl7
zfHVXyL91najZdssRKOJ7FXM++iPGfIEnOtNP6BycZmp0KQ3Ta D/6RhXlh2fhSumC/e5
zlwRNLQ/lM6cqDjbWsytgNehDfcCNYVJjRBopk1uFiSbvQszwYG4PCGZCq tHDJXrQ8g0
2Le4XKuJ0APtcHADvWtNtHfMUeCqwzX27LD22IU0gdXMRhdVIm ePSUp2Y9jQG9YkTIDB
AeBdvkGnbzFeEMAbQvDddaSofCOhskTTeEQaTncUrzbimhOtmG FMV92HuAZZvZEvTAGu
c0uA==
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 20:43:23 +0000
From: =?UTF-8?B?IkrDs2hhbm4gQi4gR3XDsG11bmRzc29uIg==?=
<johannbg@gmail.com>
To: devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: Rawhide boot problems
Sender: devel-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org

T24gMDkvMDcvMjAxMiAwNjo1NCBQTSwgSmVzc2UgS2VhdGluZy B3cm90ZToKPiBPbiAwOS8wNy8y
MDEyIDExOjQ4IEFNLCBMZW5uYXJ0IFBvZXR0ZXJpbmcgd3JvdG U6Cj4+IEh1bW0uIEkgZG9uJ3Qg
YWdyZWUgd2l0aCB0aGlzLiBBcyBsb25nIGFzIEYxOCBpcyB1bn JlbGVhc2VkIFJhd2hpZGUgd2ls
bAo+PiBiZSBiYXNpY2FsbHkgdW50ZXN0ZWQgYW5kIEkgYWxzby B3b25kZXIgd2hhdCB0ZXN0aW5n
IGl0IGF0IHRoaXMgcG9pbnQKPj4gd291bGQgYnJpbmcsIGdpdm VuIHRoYXQgaXQgcmlnaHQgbm93
IGlzIG1vc3RseSBGMTggYW5kIHZlcnkgZmFyIGZyb20KPj4gRj E5LCBzbyB3aHkgbm90IHRlc3Qg
dGhlIHJlYWwgRjE4IHdoZXJlIHdlIG5lZWQgYWxsIHRlc3Rpbm cgZm9jdXNzZWQKPj4gYW55d2F5
Pwo+Cj4gRmVkb3JhIDE4IGlzIGJhc2ljYWxseSBjbG9zZWQgZm 9yIG5ldyBmZWF0dXJlIHdvcmss
IGFuZCBpbnN0ZWFkIHRoZSAKPiBmb2N1cyBuZWVkcyB0byBiZS BvbiBpbnRlZ3JhdGlvbiBvZiB0
aGUgZXhpc3RpbmcgZmVhdHVyZSBzZXQgYW5kIAo+IGJ1Z2ZpeG VzLiAgQnV0IGFzIHlvdSBzdGF0
ZSB0aGVyZSBpcyBhIGxhcmdlIGFtb3VudCBvZiB0aW1lIGJlZm 9yZSBGMTggCj4gcmVsZWFzZXMs
IHdoaWNoIG1lYW5zIG5ldyBmZWF0dXJlIHdvcmsgd291bGQgaG F2ZSB0byBzdGFsbCBvdXQgZm9y
IAo+IG1vbnRocy4gIEluc3RlYWQsIG5ldyBmZWF0dXJlIHdvcm sgY2FuIGJlZ2luIGZvciBGMTkg
YW5kIGdldCBhaGVhZCBvZiAKPiB0aGUgZ2FtZS4gIFRoYXQncy B3aHkgRjE4IGFuZCBGMTkgYXJl
IGRpdmVyZ2VudC4gVGhhdCdzIHdoeSB3ZSB3ZW50IAo+IGZyb2 0gYSBzaW5nbGUgbGluZSBvZiBk
ZXZlbG9wbWVudCB0byB0d28uCj4KCgpBcyB5b3Uga25vdyB3ZS AoIFFBIENvbW11bml0eSApIHdh
bnQgYWxsIHRoZSB0ZXN0aW5nIHRvIGJlIGZvY3VzZWQgb24gCn RoZSByZWxlYXNlIHdlIGFyZSBh
Ym91dCB0byBwdXNoIG91dCB0aGUgZG9vciBhbmQgd2Ugd291bG QgbGlrZSAoIGFuZCAKc29tZSBl
eHBlY3QgKSB0aGF0IG1haW50YWluZXJzIGFyZSBrZWVwaW5nIH RoZSBzYW1lIGZvY3VzIGFuZCBn
aXZlIHdoYXQgCnRpbWUgdGhleSBoYXZlIHRvIGFkZHJlc3MgdG hlIGJ1Z3Mgd2UgZmluZCBpbiB0
aGUgcHJvY2VzcyBhcyBMZW5uYXJ0IGhhcyAKY29ycmVjdGx5IH BvaW50ZWQgb3V0LgoKTm93IHRo
YXQgdG8gbWUgdGhlIGJlZ3MgdGhlIHF1ZXN0aW9uIHdpdGggb3 VyIHNob3J0IHJlbGVhc2UgY3lj
bGVzIGRvIHdlIApoYXZlIGFueSBudW1iZXJzIG9uIGhvdyBtYW 55IG1haW50YWluZXJzIGhhdmUg
dGhlIHRpbWUgdG8gYmUgd29ya2luZyBvbiAKYm90aCBhbmQgYX JlIHRob3NlIG1haW50YWluZXJz
IHRoYXQgZG8gaGF2ZSB0aGF0IHRpbWUgYWN0dWFsbHkgdGFraW 5nIAphZHZhbnRhZ2Ugb2YgdGhl
IGN1cnJlbnQgbW9kZWwgaW4gcGxhY2U/CgpKQkcKLS0gCmRldmVsIG1haWxpbmcgbGlzdApkZXZl
bEBsaXN0cy5mZWRvcmFwcm9qZWN0Lm9yZwpodHRwczovL2FkbW luLmZlZG9yYXByb2plY3Qub3Jn
L21haWxtYW4vbGlzdGluZm8vZGV2ZWw=

Old 09-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:37:55 -0700, Weaver wrote:

> I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to
> the trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another
> forum where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being discussed
> and in answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of semi-acceptance.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux distribution
> once it is installed.

(...)

> The reason they don't is the install procedure.

(...)

I think it's not that easy.

First, because "untechie" users neither have to install Windows nor MacOS
as both usually come along with the computer in a pre-installed form thus
they only have to provide some basic data.

And secondly (and most important, IMO) once the Linux system has been
installed, configured and ready to use there's still the problem with
applications. You only have to tell "untechies" that they cannot install
Photoshop CS[whatever] and their response (98% of the time) will be
something like "what kind of crap is this?" ;-)

Linux is more like an intense mental activity that requires from your
attention (and high doses of patience and interest) and not all the
people is ready/looking for that.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Worrier Poet

On 09/08/2012 11:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:37:55 -0700, Weaver wrote:
>
>> I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to
>> the trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another
>> forum where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being discussed
>> and in answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of semi-acceptance.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux distribution
>> once it is installed.
>
> (...)
>
>> The reason they don't is the install procedure.
>
> (...)
>
> I think it's not that easy.
>
> First, because "untechie" users neither have to install Windows nor MacOS
> as both usually come along with the computer in a pre-installed form thus
> they only have to provide some basic data.
>
> And secondly (and most important, IMO) once the Linux system has been
> installed, configured and ready to use there's still the problem with
> applications. You only have to tell "untechies" that they cannot install
> Photoshop CS[whatever] and their response (98% of the time) will be
> something like "what kind of crap is this?" ;-)
>
> Linux is more like an intense mental activity that requires from your
> attention (and high doses of patience and interest) and not all the
> people is ready/looking for that.
>
> Greetings,

To add to Camaleón's points I'd also observe that -- even when users do
install Windows, they usually do so from an installer (possibly a
really, really bad one customized by the computer manufacturer) that
doesn't ask (m)any questions about what's already on the system. Windows
installers don't give a rap about whether or not you'll be able to boot
the OS that was previously on the system before Windows was installed.
There's a kind of hubris to that that we (the FOSS community) wouldn't
be thrilled to see coming from our own distributions, I think.

But making those assumptions makes it pretty easy for Microsoft and its
business partners to make an installer that's easy to use. All it has to
do is re-pave the highway.

GNU/Linux/HURD/BSD users have a lot of freedom to configure things just
the way they want them. That requires them to do anywhere from a little
to a lot of learning. The people who are turned off by the effort of
finding out how to choose a partition scheme (pretty darned easy by
default in Debian, for instance) or a file system (also not hard by
default in the d-i) are probably not going to enjoy the party once
they're here.

The people who do take interest in such things -- like I did back when I
used DOS and Windows -- probably aren't going to balk at all at what
they find in the d-i expert install. I didn't. I went straight from all
Windows to all GNU/Linux without bothering with virtual machines or dual
booting or any of that stuff. Just saved my data to a safe place, took
all the machines to Debian testing, and stuck our data back on the "new"
systems.

Actually, the hardest part of the switch was finding a way to convert
some of the data from proprietary formats to open formats.

Good fortune to you!
the worrier

Old 09-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Martin Steigerwald

Am Samstag, 8. September 2012 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:37:55 -0700, Weaver wrote:
> > I know how hard it can be to see the forest when you are too close to
> > the trees, so I thought I would re-post something I put up in another
> > forum where Miguel de Icaza's recent communication was being
> > discussed and in answer to Vaughan-Nicholl's recent article of
> > semi-acceptance. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The most 'untechie' person on the planet can use any Linux
> > distribution once it is installed.
>
> (...)
>
> > The reason they don't is the install procedure.
>
> (...)
>
> I think it's not that easy.
>
> First, because "untechie" users neither have to install Windows nor
> MacOS as both usually come along with the computer in a pre-installed
> form thus they only have to provide some basic data.
>
> And secondly (and most important, IMO) once the Linux system has been
> installed, configured and ready to use there's still the problem with
> applications. You only have to tell "untechies" that they cannot
> install Photoshop CS[whatever] and their response (98% of the time)
> will be something like "what kind of crap is this?" ;-)
>
> Linux is more like an intense mental activity that requires from your
> attention (and high doses of patience and interest) and not all the
> people is ready/looking for that.

Well I do see more and more that there are really cool applications for
Linux.

But sure, someone who doesn´t want to try anything with a different name
and GUI than the stuff he is used too, but not be easy to convince.

Just as I don´t give a sh* about Adobe software except for flash where its
still needed to play web videos.

I quite much agree to the installation stuff.

I put Linux on the laptop I bought with my father for my father. He used
Firefox and Thunderbird and some crappy photo management software.

I put KDE on it plus Iceweasel, Icedove and Digikam as applications. And
each a button for internet on and off (this Debian Lenny installation is
using HFC USB based ISDN adapter for accessing the net, thats why I am
reluctant to upgrade to Squeeze or Wheezy, cause I have the gut feeling
that ISDN on Squeeze or Wheezy is quite some fiddling again.)

Well that just works.

So I also agree that it somewhat depends on the applications, on games for
some as well as on the willingness to try a different application for the
same tasks.

As for Adobe Photoshop GIMP and possibly even more so Krita are very
interesting alternatives IMHO. But then what do I know about Photoshop…