Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
"Franji Mayes"

Default speeding up 7.10

Thank you, this makes more sense to me now. I ran "uname -a" and it does have the i686 kernel installed. So now I'm still trying to figure out what else I can do to speed things up. I'm willing/able to add more RAM, but would like to see if there are any other improvements I can make first.

I read that problems can be caused if you don't wipe clean your hard drive before installing Linux. When I installed Xubuntu 7.10, I chose the option that said it would partition everything and wipe out whatever was already on there. Maybe I should have wiped it clean first, and then installed it?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them. I'm running a laptop w/ 646 Mhz Celeron, 6G HDD, 192 MB RAM.

Thank you to everyone on the list for your patience with my emails!

Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 06:07:57PM -0800:
> I wasn't sure if that meant it's repaired or not, so I again tried "apt-get

> install linux-686" and received messages about it not being able to write to
> files. So I ran "mount / -o rw, remount" and the apt-get again, and it
> displayed a few lines, at the end of which it said "E: Couldn't find package

> linux-686" I Googled and found "aptitude install linux-686" and ran that; it
> seemed to do more stuff, but still couldn't find the package.
>
> So I guess the good news is that my system seems to be repaired/working and

> now I just have to figure out how to get the 686 kernel (assuming that will
> help my slow performance).

The 686 (and all other kernels) are now merged to a single kernel called
linux-image-generic, so there are only two kernels, -386 and -generic for

the desktop. The -generic kernel will enable all optimisations needed when
it detects a processor that can use them.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski <
http://sheep.art.pl>

End of xubuntu-users Digest, Vol 11, Issue 16

Old 11-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Joerg Thuemmler

Franji Mayes wrote:
> Thank you, this makes more sense to me now. I ran "uname -a" and it does
> have the i686 kernel installed. So now I'm still trying to figure out what
> else I can do to speed things up. I'm willing/able to add more RAM, but
> would like to see if there are any other improvements I can make first.
>
> I read that problems can be caused if you don't wipe clean your hard drive
> before installing Linux. When I installed Xubuntu 7.10, I chose the option
> that said it would partition everything and wipe out whatever was already on
> there. Maybe I should have wiped it clean first, and then installed it?
>
> If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful to hear them. I'm running
> a laptop w/ 646 Mhz Celeron, 6G HDD, 192 MB RAM.
>
> Thank you to everyone on the list for your patience with my emails!

Hi,

IMHO that's not much for modern linux (graphic using) system, although
xfce is fast it seems small to me. I use a Via C III 1 Ghz with 1 GB RAM
and it's not too fast (no, it isn't bad!).

Best - if you using the laptop only local - looking for services to kill...
(no ssh needed -> kill, no ....) there's always a lot running. And yes,
RAM is indeed a good thing. And look for DMA on your harddisk (man hdparm),
that may be of essential speedup.

joerg