Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default gvim promised, but no present.

I'm running Xubuntu 12.04.1.

I don't often ask for it, but when I tried the 'gvim' command, it told me

> The program 'gvim' can be found in the following packages:
> * vim
> * vim-gnome
> * vim-tiny
> * vim-athena
> * vim-gtk
> * vim-nox
> Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

This sort of message has been very helpful in the past. The problem
is, I already did that: I installed "vim", as verified by synaptic.

What's up with that? I could install either vim-gnome or vim-gtk, but
I'm unsure of which would be best. I'm using xubuntu to avoid both
KDE and Gnome to the extent possible, but I've noticed there are some
gnome libraries here anyway.

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-14-2012, 05:18 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM
David Gerard

On 14 October 2012 18:18, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's up with that? I could install either vim-gnome or vim-gtk, but
> I'm unsure of which would be best. I'm using xubuntu to avoid both
> KDE and Gnome to the extent possible, but I've noticed there are some
> gnome libraries here anyway.

gvim is supplied by either vim-gnome or vim-gtk. XFCE already uses
GTK, so go for vim-gtk.

- d.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Phil Dobbin

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:

> I'm running Xubuntu 12.04.1.
>
> I don't often ask for it, but when I tried the 'gvim' command, it told me
>
>> The program 'gvim' can be found in the following packages:
>> * vim
>> * vim-gnome
>> * vim-tiny
>> * vim-athena
>> * vim-gtk
>> * vim-nox
>> Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
>
> This sort of message has been very helpful in the past. The problem
> is, I already did that: I installed "vim", as verified by synaptic.
>
> What's up with that? I could install either vim-gnome or vim-gtk, but
> I'm unsure of which would be best. I'm using xubuntu to avoid both
> KDE and Gnome to the extent possible, but I've noticed there are some
> gnome libraries here anyway.

I personally always use vim-gtk as my gVim on Linux. I mistakenly
installed the Gnome variety once but didn't like the look of it (I must
add this was purely aesthetically; it didn't stay installed long enough
for me to find out anything else about it).

As far as I know, they're all the same Vim under the hood.

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise