Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default how not to Ubuntu?

I've seen some hype coming through here about "how to Ubuntu". It
calls it an event, as if one should attend, but I could not figure out
what that really means, so I guess I did not attend.

I looked at the site though, and I'm not sure any of that applies to
me now that I'm running xfce4. Entirely KDE-less, and I think only
minimally gnomeified by some support libraries. Anyway, I see mostly
blues, not the ubuntu browns. So I'm a bit leery of follwing those
directions.

Any wisdom out there?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 October 2012 18:29, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen some hype coming through here about "how to Ubuntu". It
> calls it an event, as if one should attend, but I could not figure out
> what that really means, so I guess I did not attend.
>
> I looked at the site though, and I'm not sure any of that applies to
> me now that I'm running xfce4. Entirely KDE-less, and I think only
> minimally gnomeified by some support libraries. Anyway, I see mostly
> blues, not the ubuntu browns. So I'm a bit leery of follwing those
> directions.
>
> Any wisdom out there?

No idea what you mean. I've not seen any mention of this. Is it a
document, a web site, an event, or what? Can you provide some links or
other context?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-11-2012, 06:03 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 October 2012 18:29, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've seen some hype coming through here about "how to Ubuntu". It
>> calls it an event, as if one should attend, but I could not figure out
>> what that really means, so I guess I did not attend.
>>
>> I looked at the site though, and I'm not sure any of that applies to
>> me now that I'm running xfce4. Entirely KDE-less, and I think only
>> minimally gnomeified by some support libraries. Anyway, I see mostly
>> blues, not the ubuntu browns. So I'm a bit leery of follwing those
>> directions.
>>
>> Any wisdom out there?
>
> No idea what you mean. I've not seen any mention of this. Is it a
> document, a web site, an event, or what? Can you provide some links or
> other context?

It came to me somewhat mysteriously, I think through google+.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/117279225305045556184

The indicates sites are http://whyubuntu.org and http://howtoubuntu.org

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 October 2012 19:03, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11 October 2012 18:29, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've seen some hype coming through here about "how to Ubuntu". It
>>> calls it an event, as if one should attend, but I could not figure out
>>> what that really means, so I guess I did not attend.
>>>
>>> I looked at the site though, and I'm not sure any of that applies to
>>> me now that I'm running xfce4. Entirely KDE-less, and I think only
>>> minimally gnomeified by some support libraries. Anyway, I see mostly
>>> blues, not the ubuntu browns. So I'm a bit leery of follwing those
>>> directions.
>>>
>>> Any wisdom out there?
>>
>> No idea what you mean. I've not seen any mention of this. Is it a
>> document, a web site, an event, or what? Can you provide some links or
>> other context?
>
> It came to me somewhat mysteriously, I think through google+.
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/117279225305045556184
>
> The indicates sites are http://whyubuntu.org and http://howtoubuntu.org

[Shrug]

Just looks like someone's been plugging the launch of their website. Big deal.

The first one is riddled with spelling mistakes, which pretty much
destroys my confidence in it off the bat. I would not show that to
anyone as advocacy; it is amateurish in the extreme.

The second has a large intrusive banner about ad-blocking, rather than
a subtle or polite request as some other sites do.

Overall: not impressed.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-12-2012, 11:58 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:03:47 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 11 October 2012 18:29, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've seen some hype coming through here about "how to Ubuntu". It
> >> calls it an event, as if one should attend, but I could not figure
> >> out what that really means, so I guess I did not attend.
> >>
> >> I looked at the site though, and I'm not sure any of that applies
> >> to me now that I'm running xfce4. Entirely KDE-less, and I think
> >> only minimally gnomeified by some support libraries. Anyway, I
> >> see mostly blues, not the ubuntu browns. So I'm a bit leery of
> >> follwing those directions.
> >>
> >> Any wisdom out there?
> >
> > No idea what you mean. I've not seen any mention of this. Is it a
> > document, a web site, an event, or what? Can you provide some links
> > or other context?
>
> It came to me somewhat mysteriously, I think through google+.
> https://plus.google.com/u/0/117279225305045556184
>
> The indicates sites are http://whyubuntu.org and
> http://howtoubuntu.org

Both sites registered by the same Lewis Goddard.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
For security's sake all Windows should be barred.
Cybe R. Wizard

Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 October 2012 12:58, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Both sites registered by the same Lewis Goddard.

Odd - I didn't see the byline Lwis Gdorad anywhere on the site. ;¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:54:30 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 October 2012 12:58, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> >>
> > Both sites registered by the same Lewis Goddard.
>
> Odd - I didn't see the byline Lwis Gdorad anywhere on the site. ;)

"whois," knows.

Cybe R. Wizard

Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Liam Proven

On 12 October 2012 13:59, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:54:30 +0100
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 12 October 2012 12:58, Cybe R. Wizard
>> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> >>
>> > Both sites registered by the same Lewis Goddard.
>>
>> Odd - I didn't see the byline Lwis Gdorad anywhere on the site. ;¬)
>>
> "whois," knows.

I am familiar with it. It's how I yesterday found out the real name of
Perberos, the chap who forked GNOME 2 to create MATE. :¬)

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 14:11:23 +0100
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12 October 2012 13:59, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:54:30 +0100
> > Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Odd - I didn't see the byline Lwis Gdorad anywhere on the site. ;)
> >>
> > "whois," knows.
>
> I am familiar with it. It's how I yesterday found out the real name of
> Perberos, the chap who forked GNOME 2 to create MATE. :)

Jose Hernandez?

Cybe R. Wizard