Old 10-07-2012, 05:49 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Setting up a printer, having mailcap problems

I'm just adding a printer to a new Xubuntu config. The printer is
there and can print test pages, but when I try to use print(1) on a
text file it complains about missing a mailcap file for text/plain.

I've not used print(1) before that I recall, and if I've ever fooled
with mailcap that I recall either.
It makes me wonder why print is installed at all without what I guess
should be simple support files.

Can anyone help?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Marc Coevoet

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:49:23 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I'm just adding a printer to a new Xubuntu config. The printer is
> there and can print test pages, but when I try to use print(1) on a
> text file it complains about missing a mailcap file for text/plain.
>
> I've not used print(1) before that I recall, and if I've ever fooled
> with mailcap that I recall either.
> It makes me wonder why print is installed at all without what I guess
> should be simple support files.
>
> Can anyone help?

Maybe you mean to use lpr ?

Jonesy

Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Jonesy <gmane@jonz.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:49:23 -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I'm just adding a printer to a new Xubuntu config. The printer is
>> there and can print test pages, but when I try to use print(1) on a
>> text file it complains about missing a mailcap file for text/plain.
>>
>> I've not used print(1) before that I recall, and if I've ever fooled
>> with mailcap that I recall either.
>> It makes me wonder why print is installed at all without what I guess
>> should be simple support files.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>
> Maybe you mean to use lpr ?
>
> Jonesy

No, I meant to use a personal homebrew in /usr/local/bin/print, but
had not brought it over from the old install. It's based on
enscript(1), and works properly now.

I was just remarking that this behavior seems unprofessional,
considering that print(1) is installed by default, and "print" is a
pretty natural thing for someone to try. Seems like the sort of thing
that should be improved.

--
Kevin O'Gorman