Old 10-05-2012, 05:29 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Distro switch ubuntu->xubuntu; apache not listening....

When I boot this machine into ubuntu 11.04, the apache server works for me.
I've installed Xubuntu 12.04.1, and am trying to get its apache server
to do the same. I thought I copied all the config stuff, and
rebooted.
However, this setup does not have a user 'apache' like the old one
does. I configured apache to run as that user. I'm not sure what
user xubuntu expects apache to run as.

Should I just create user and group 'apache"?? It seems too easy.

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Elizabeth Krumbach

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> When I boot this machine into ubuntu 11.04, the apache server works for me.
> I've installed Xubuntu 12.04.1, and am trying to get its apache server
> to do the same. I thought I copied all the config stuff, and
> rebooted.
> However, this setup does not have a user 'apache' like the old one
> does. I configured apache to run as that user. I'm not sure what
> user xubuntu expects apache to run as.
>
> Should I just create user and group 'apache"?? It seems too easy.

Ubuntu and Xubuntu use the exact same packages for Apache, they share
a repository.

Did you install Apache via the package manager? Is Apache running, but
just not serving pages? You can also take a look at
/var/log/apache2/error.log to see if there are clues there.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com