-   -   Jumping LTS (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/709742-jumping-lts.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 10-04-2012 11:51 PM

Jumping LTS

Going from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Xubuntu 12.04.1.

I've got a lot of work to do getting the extra things installed that i
need without dragging in kde or gnome things. That will be a relief
in a way because I've accumulated so much cruft I really don't need
any more, and it just won't get installed.

However, I'm not finding a few things I have usually had:
- yabasic
- bluej
- calibre

There may be more.

The question: does anybody know why these were dropped? I'm
suspecting lack of interest, but I'd like to know. And if there's a
lack of interest in calibre, is there a better replacement?

--
Kevin O'Gorman

Steven Grace 10-05-2012 12:21 AM

Jumping LTS

Going from Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to Xubuntu 12.04.1.

I've got a lot of work to do getting the extra things installed that i
need without dragging in kde or gnome things. That will be a relief
in a way because I've accumulated so much cruft I really don't need
any more, and it just won't get installed.

However, I'm not finding a few things I have usually had:
- yabasic
- bluej
- calibre

There may be more.

The question: does anybody know why these were dropped? I'm
suspecting lack of interest, but I'd like to know. And if there's a
lack of interest in calibre, is there a better replacement?

On my Xubuntu 12.04 system, package "calibre" is available. The other
two aren't, which is a shame as I was planning to use yabasic in the
near future.

Ric Moore 10-08-2012 01:01 AM

Jumping LTS

Or check if someone has created a ppa on launchpad.net
<http://launchpad.net> for those applications.

Not top posting is a good thing. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

"Dan 'Da Man'" 10-09-2012 04:48 PM

Jumping LTS

Or check if someone has created a ppa on launchpad.net

<http://launchpad.net> for those applications.

Not top posting is a good thing. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

*

I didn't know there was a proper protocol on where
to place replies in messages.* I was just following the default setup
that Gmail provides when replying and as a fellow Gmail user, you know that even if someone replies with a top post, Gmail's conversation view shows replies at the bottom of the conversation.* I guess I forgot that others don't use Gmail.

bob 10-09-2012 09:01 PM

Jumping LTS

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 11:48:32 -0500
"Dan 'Da Man'" <heymrdjd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 10/04/2012 10:36 PM, Dan 'Da Man' wrote:
> >
> >> Or check if someone has created a ppa on launchpad.net
> >> <http://launchpad.net> for those applications.
> >>
> >> Not top posting is a good thing. Ric
> >

> > --
> > My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> > "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> > ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> > Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> > http://linuxcounter.net/user/**44256.html<http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html>
> >

> > --
> >

> I didn't know there was a proper protocol on where to place replies in
> messages. I was just following the default setup that Gmail provides when
> replying and as a fellow Gmail user, you know that even if someone replies
> with a top post, Gmail's conversation view shows replies at the bottom of
> the conversation. I guess I forgot that others don't use Gmail.

I don't think it has anything to do with gmail.

It was explained to me a few months ago that useful threads are posted on a website. While I personally find it annoying having to scroll to the bottom of each message in a thread I've been reading rather than just look at the top for the newest post, someone reading the thread on the web would fine it much easier to read from top to bottom.