-   -   Switching distros u->x Need help with grub /boot partition (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/709739-switching-distros-u-x-need-help-grub-boot-partition.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 10-04-2012 11:47 PM

Switching distros u->x Need help with grub /boot partition

I installed xubuntu 12.04.1 along side my old ubuntu 10.04 LTS. It is
able to boot both of them, so everything is going pretty well.
However, I need advice or help with management of the /boot directory.

Right now, I'm assuming the installed grub is using the /boot in the
xubuntu partition. I'm a bit surprised that it's not only showing
kernels from there, but also showing kernels from the separate /boot
partition that I was using with ubuntu. I'm no longer sure why I was
using a separate partition: it could have been an old BIOS restriction
that applied to LILO (may it rest in peace), or possibly because I
wanted to share it between installations. Heck, this new mobo doesn't
even use a BIOS; I forget what this new thing is called, but I can use
a mouse and everything.

So I'm asking for verification: I'm pretty sure the location
restrictions were retired a long time ago, and it appears grub has
gotten smarter since I first started using it. Can I expect
grub-update to find boot directories and boot partiitons and populate
them correctly without the need for a separate partition, or for
combined directories? This would be wonderful, and it seems to be the
case, but fooling with the boot stuff is a good way to make my life
miserable for days. I'd like to be sure.

Thanks.
--
Kevin O'Gorman