Old 09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"

Default 10.04 to 12.04 via do-release-upgrade with e17 & xubuntu-desktop??

Well it looks like it's time for me to upgrade to the next LTS release.
I'm thinking that do-release-upgrade should work. but I have a few worries
about the process.

1) There were several releases between 10.04 and 12.04.

I'm hoping that since 12.04 is the first "LTS" since 10.04
that I won't need to walk the process through each of the
NON-LTS releases in between???

BUT I'm unsure how to specify to the do-release-upgrade process
that the target is 12.04 etc... (is it as simple as manually
replacing all instances of the string "lucid" in the apt sources
list(s) with the string "precise"???????

2) What online clues I've been able to find strongly suggest ensuring that
"ubuntu-desktop" IS installed first...

But I originally installed as Xubuntu because I was running away
from kde4 and I never could stand gnome. Worse yet, I added E17
and except for an occasional romp with E16, I haven't booted any
other WM/DE in a Looooooonng time. But I don't think there is an
enlightenment-desktop (e16 OR e17) meta package So I'm thinking
that since Xfce is arguably still installed that maybe just having
xubuntu-desktop installed would be enough. (though I'd be a LOT
more comfortable if there was an e17-desktop metapackage) ??

Also how do I verify that I never uninstalled the xubuntu-desktop
package???

3) do I need to do that as do-release-upgrade -d or what?

Could someone point me at a good, up to date, step by step how-to doc?

Thanks