-   -   10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS with xubuntu-desktop, e17, and do-release-upgrade? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/707054-10-04-lts-12-04-lts-xubuntu-desktop-e17-do-release-upgrade.html)

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 09-24-2012 09:44 PM

10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS with xubuntu-desktop, e17, and do-release-upgrade?

Well it looks like it's time for me to upgrade to the next LTS release.
I'm thinking that do-release-upgrade should work. but I have a few worries
about the process.

1) There were several releases between 10.04 and 12.04.

I'm hoping that since 12.04 is the first "LTS" since 10.04
that I won't need to walk the process through each of the
NON-LTS releases in between???

BUT I'm unsure how to specify to the do-release-upgrade process
that the target is 12.04 etc... (is it as simple as manually
replacing all instances of the string "lucid" in the apt sources
list(s) with the string "precise"???????

2) What online clues I've been able to find strongly suggest ensuring that
"ubuntu-desktop" IS installed first...

But I originally installed as Xubuntu because I was running away
from kde4 and I never could stand gnome. Worse yet, I added E17
and except for an occasional romp with E16, I haven't booted any
other WM/DE in a Looooooonng time. But I don't think there is an
enlightenment-desktop (e16 OR e17) meta package So I'm thinking
that since Xfce is arguably still installed that maybe just having
xubuntu-desktop installed would be enough. (though I'd be a LOT
more comfortable if there was an e17-desktop metapackage) ??

Also how do I verify that I never uninstalled the xubuntu-desktop
package???

3) do I need to do that as do-release-upgrade -d or what?

Could someone point me at a good, up to date, step by step how-to doc?

Thanks

--
| ~^~ ~^~
| <?> <?> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| \___/ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>

09-25-2012 01:17 AM

On 09/24/2012 04:44 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> Well it looks like it's time for me to upgrade to the next LTS release.
> I'm thinking that do-release-upgrade should work. but I have a few worries
> about the process.
>
> 1) There were several releases between 10.04 and 12.04.
>
> I'm hoping that since 12.04 is the first "LTS" since 10.04
> that I won't need to walk the process through each of the
> NON-LTS releases in between???
>
> BUT I'm unsure how to specify to the do-release-upgrade process
> that the target is 12.04 etc... (is it as simple as manually
> replacing all instances of the string "lucid" in the apt sources
> list(s) with the string "precise"???????
>
> 2) What online clues I've been able to find strongly suggest ensuring that
> "ubuntu-desktop" IS installed first...
>
> But I originally installed as Xubuntu because I was running away
> from kde4 and I never could stand gnome. Worse yet, I added E17
> and except for an occasional romp with E16, I haven't booted any
> other WM/DE in a Looooooonng time. But I don't think there is an
> enlightenment-desktop (e16 OR e17) meta package So I'm thinking
> that since Xfce is arguably still installed that maybe just having
> xubuntu-desktop installed would be enough. (though I'd be a LOT
> more comfortable if there was an e17-desktop metapackage) ??
>
> Also how do I verify that I never uninstalled the xubuntu-desktop
> package???
>
> 3) do I need to do that as do-release-upgrade -d or what?
>

> Could someone point me at a good, up to date, step by step how-to doc?
>
> Thanks

1. Upgrading from 10.04 directly to 12.04 is possible. Upgrading from
one LTS to the next will always be supported.

2. "apt-cache policy xubuntu-desktop" will tell you if the XFCE meta
package is installed. ubuntu-desktop is the unity desktop,
lubuntu-desktop is the meta package for LXDE, ect.

3. I have already upgraded and can't remember, but "do-release-upgrade
-h" show the help file and it says -d will check for the latest
development version, which at this point would be 12.10. Just run
"do-release-upgrade" and it will tell what version it will pull in and
ask you if you want to continue.

"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" 09-25-2012 05:01 AM

10.04 LTS to 12.04 LTS with xubuntu-desktop, e17, and do-release-upgrade?

It would appear that on Sep 24, theuteck-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gman...:

> 1. Upgrading from 10.04 directly to 12.04 is possible. Upgrading from
> one LTS to the next will always be supported.
>
> 2. "apt-cache policy xubuntu-desktop" will tell you if the XFCE meta
> package is installed. ubuntu-desktop is the unity desktop,
> lubuntu-desktop is the meta package for LXDE, ect.
>
> 3. I have already upgraded and can't remember, but "do-release-upgrade
> -h" show the help file and it says -d will check for the latest
> development version, which at this point would be 12.10. Just run
> "do-release-upgrade" and it will tell what version it will pull in and
> ask you if you want to continue.

Thanks

1) I thought I half remembered something like that. I guess running LTS
releases has the unintentional side effects:
A)one tends to forget how one upgraded last time.
B)If one does remember, but the recommended method changed one might not
be aware of it...

Aside from which, Since Xubuntu (which is installed on both my Laptop and my
desktop) is the only one of the 5 Linux distros I multiboot that isn't a
rolling release model, I'm really out of practice. So thanks again for the
"hand holding"

2) I'm not so sure that I was ever familiar with the "policy" option to
apt-cache, but it sounds useful...

I don't suppose there is a way to get apt (-get or -cache) to list all
available "*-desktop" meta packages?

Though I doubt that it would mater much to me unless they develop one for e17.

3) Sounds like they really streamlined the user side of the process. I mean
unless I'm still supposed to manually edit the sources to point at the
"precise" repositories.

Which reminds me I'd better check to see if http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu
even has a "precise" version yet...

If it does, then since I just used my laptops antiX installation to make a
Lucid.tgz backup of the Xubuntu partition, then I'll likely wing it and
give do-release-upgrade a try...

I have doubts that {in the absence of an e17-desktop meta package} do-release-upgrade
will preserve my e17 installation. But as long as there is an precise repo
I'm sure that even my package manager dependent skills could reinstall it &
if not I can always restore my Lucid tarball...

Thanks