-   -   installation oddities (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/703768-installation-oddities.html)

Sandy Harris 09-14-2012 11:16 AM

installation oddities

I work as an editor and was forced to install Windows (boo-hoo) on my
laptop because Open Office did strange things on a file I needed to
edit, .docx format, multi-column with lots of tables and graphics. A
real bitch of a file! So I blew away Xubuntu, put Windoze on a 20 G
partition and re-installed Xubuntu on the rest of the drive. So far,
so good. Both OSs boot and the file has been edited. There are some
problems, though; hence this email.

First off, I installed at home where there are half a dozen wireless
networks visible, but none I have access to. Hence, I did not click
the "enable wireless" or "download updates while installing" boxes.
Fine, except when I went to a bar where wireless is available, I found
that Xubuntu could not see a wireless device. It looks as though it
discovers the device during setup but does not install the driver if
you do not use the device then.

Second, I am re-installing at the bar and it is working, but there are
minor problems. First, it did not give me an opportunity to choose a
server. Downloads are a tad slow since I'm in China and the default
server is not. Also, it is spending rather a long time (over an hour)
on "downloading language packs" although I have not asked for any.

honeyshell 09-14-2012 12:45 PM

installation oddities

Hello Sandy,

You seem really aware with Ubuntu. So I will just speak about tricks I use :

* For wifi :* your experience seems weird ;) If Ubuntu show you wireless networks at home, it should be the same in the bar. It should not depend of your device.

* For a quick install : First for the media, I suggest you to download the dvd image with a torrent link. And next, put it on a usb-key* (more fast than a dvd). During installation, on the first (or second) window, don't click on "updating Ubuntu during installation). When your installation is done, reboot without update. Open the sources.list file on Terminal with the command :

$ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

and comment all lines existing, and add :

deb http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise main multiverse restricted universe

deb http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-backports main multiverse restricted universe

deb http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-proposed main multiverse restricted universe

deb http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-security main multiverse restricted universe

deb http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-updates main multiverse restricted universe

deb-src http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise main multiverse restricted universe

deb-src http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-backports main multiverse restricted universe

deb-src http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-proposed main multiverse restricted universe

deb-src http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-security main multiverse restricted universe

deb-src http://mirror.bjtu.edu.cn/ubuntu/ precise-updates main multiverse restricted univers

After add, save & close with CTRL+X, and update with the commane :

$ sudo apt-get update
Tell 'yes' for updating your ubuntu.

I am not sure if this mirror is the nearest of your location. I was help with this page : http://my.oschina.net/rockbaby/blog/14711, but it should be more fast than an UK/US mirror.

Hoping my explanation was as clear as your mail ;)

honey$hell