-   -   .goutputstream-APN9XA -- what's this seems to be generated each day (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/703081-goutputstream-apn9xa-whats-seems-generated-each-day.html)

Andy Proctor 09-12-2012 09:58 AM

.goutputstream-APN9XA -- what's this seems to be generated each day

On 11/09/12 21:40, James Freer wrote:

[xubuntu 12.04]

I'd be grateful if someone could advise what the above file is - seems
to be generated each day in root 0 bytes. Never had this in previous
releases.

It seems to be a 'confirmed' bug. Only noticed i suppose by folk who
have 'show hidden files' selected in Thunar. It's reported in the
ubuntu forum but no solution seems to have been posted. I was just
wondering if anyone here has found a solution. Folk have said it's
created by certain apps which i don't use.

thanks
james

Dear James, I noticed the same issue and my searches have found that it
is fairly common as a problem. Some debate on the web about the root
cause but the majority view seems to be that they are related to file
transfers and file output. They seem to be temp files left over from use
of the Goutputstream library by various applications. I use xubuntu/xfce
of course not gnome but still get them so suspect an application is
using the library and not cleaning up properly. Should be safe to delete
them "rm ~/.goutputstream-*" as I have seen no negative effects of doing
this. The delete command could also be put into the login script to do
this automatically if you want.

There is a bug report but I think this is low priority for the developers?

Oh and yes as the file starts with a "." you need to be viewing hidden
files in thunar or use ls -a in a terminal to see.

Thanks, hope this helps.

Andy

James Freer 09-14-2012 08:41 PM

.goutputstream-APN9XA -- what's this seems to be generated each day

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 05:58:55 -0400 Andy Proctor
I'd be grateful if someone could advise what the above file is -
seems to be generated each day in root 0 bytes. Never had this
in previous releases.

I use xubuntu/xfce of course not gnome but still get them so
suspect an application is using the library and not cleaning up
properly. Should be safe to delete them "rm ~/.goutputstream-*"
as I have seen no negative effects of doing this. The delete
command could also be put into the login script to do this
automatically if you want.

Specifically, Dennis Baurichter wrote in the bug report (URL is
below) on 2012-08-28:

Just put this command into autorun (in system menu top left on
screen):

In that menu in XFCE (Applications Menu), the place to add the
command is Settings > Settings Manager > Session and Startup >
Application Autostart tab. I have set the Description to something
like:
Workaround for Launchpad.net issue 984785
... to remind me what this autostart item does, and so I can find
it and remove it once the issue is fixed.

sh -c "rm ~/.goutputstream-*"

(Obviously, leave out the ">" that was used for quoting in this
message.)

There is a bug report

The bug report is https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/984785

-dg1727

Thank you for your replies and a solution. Reading the bug report folk said they
couldn't delete them - that seems to have worked for me. Appreciate the solution
but a little on the techinical side for me... i'll just delete and i'm sure
it'll be fixed for 12.11.

thanks
james