-   -   DVD burner not loading new discs (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/699296-dvd-burner-not-loading-new-discs.html)

mischa falkenburg 08-30-2012 10:04 PM

DVD burner not loading new discs

Hello All,

I'm pretty sure that this problem was self-inflicted...but only for
the following reason:

When a new DVD disc is in the drive, it'll "try" to load but nada,
When the computer reboots to try an .iso, it'll load fine.

The self-infliction most likely happened while I was trying to "explore"
burning discs in different formats after converting the files (visual
and audio). Now, weeks later I'm finally getting really upset with
myself and turning to you for help.

Perhaps, might an incorrect Command be being used? For example, in the
"Removable Drives and Media" in "Preferences", Blank CDs & DVDs, the
"check" is ON for Burn When Blank Is Inserted, and the commands are
showing: /usr/bin/dvdauthor & /usr/bin/brasero.

To tell the truth, I've only ever used Brasero to burn discs, so that
just goes to show ya...

Suggestions?

As always, Thanks-In-Advance.
Mischa

bob 08-31-2012 02:50 AM

DVD burner not loading new discs

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:04:35 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I'm pretty sure that this problem was self-inflicted...but only for
> the following reason:
>
> When a new DVD disc is in the drive, it'll "try" to load but nada,
> When the computer reboots to try an .iso, it'll load fine.
>
> The self-infliction most likely happened while I was trying to "explore"
> burning discs in different formats after converting the files (visual
> and audio). Now, weeks later I'm finally getting really upset with
> myself and turning to you for help.
>
> Perhaps, might an incorrect Command be being used? For example, in the
> "Removable Drives and Media" in "Preferences", Blank CDs & DVDs, the
> "check" is ON for Burn When Blank Is Inserted, and the commands are
> showing: /usr/bin/dvdauthor & /usr/bin/brasero.
>
> To tell the truth, I've only ever used Brasero to burn discs, so that
> just goes to show ya...
>
> Suggestions?
>
> As always, Thanks-In-Advance.
> Mischa

I apologize for this silly idea, but I had trouble with Xfburn in 12.04 so installed Brasero, which worked fine for me. I haven't used Xfburn for a couple of months.

That, of course, should be a last resort and if anyone can solve the problem in a more direct fashion that should be preferred.

mischa falkenburg 08-31-2012 10:13 PM

[...]

I should ask a question that is more direct and to the point...

Is it possible to run a diagnostic on the DVD burner?

M.

James Freer 08-31-2012 11:07 PM

[...]

I don't know but i have had the same problem as yourself from time to time (if
that's any consolation). Brasero mostly ok until 10.04 [i couldn't select a slow
speed to burn iso i recall] when i switched back to k3b. I don't understand why
xubuntu sometimes has Xfburn on one release and then Brasero on the next. Due to
this i've stayed with k3b for 12.04.

james

Ric Moore 08-31-2012 11:40 PM

[...]

Don't you have to load the rest of KDE in order to install it?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

James Freer 09-01-2012 05:36 AM

[...]

Am i following the "Sin of Stupidity"

One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this one that
is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are more dependencies
than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest of kde... 'runtime-kde' is
installed i noticed.

I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero but they
do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release seems to switch
between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app - widely used and doesn't
have problems that i know off. With linux nothing is quite perfect but xubuntu
i've found has some nice surprises - Bulk Rename for example is a nice 'Fit for
purpose' app... free of 'eye candy' but it's better than kRename. Essential for
all those photos.

james

Ric Moore 09-01-2012 10:52 AM

DVD burner not loading new discs

One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this
one that is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are
more dependencies than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest
of kde... 'runtime-kde' is installed i noticed.

I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero
but they do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release
seems to switch between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app -
widely used and doesn't have problems that i know off.

It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed off
to use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b. It seems
they trade places in the heart and minds depending on which runs
reliably at the time, routinely. At least we have the choices!

A good question, IMHO, is ignorance seeking to be overcome. No ~trace~
of stupidity there. I salute you sir.

Just checked and to install k3b it drags in nepomuk. Sorry, won't have
that. You don't need to reference/catalog/database the entire install on
your machine to burn a simple CD/DVD. It also drags in phonon, and I
already have alsa and pulse installed, so I hate when they do that,
adding another sound server to the pile. I have no clue why they just
can't use pulse and not re-invent the wheel. Scruum. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

James Freer 09-01-2012 06:44 PM

DVD burner not loading new discs

One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this
one that is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are
more dependencies than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest
of kde... 'runtime-kde' is installed i noticed.

I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero
but they do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release
seems to switch between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app -
widely used and doesn't have problems that i know off.

It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed off to
use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b. It seems they
trade places in the heart and minds depending on which runs reliably at the
time, routinely. At least we have the choices!Ric

I'm sure you're right about k3b... it's my reserve for Brasero and Xfburn. They
do seem to have their 'dips'.

james

mischa falkenburg 09-01-2012 08:58 PM

DVD burner not loading new discs

One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this
one that is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are
more dependencies than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest
of kde... 'runtime-kde' is installed i noticed.

I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero
but they do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release
seems to switch between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app -
widely used and doesn't have problems that i know off.

It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed
off to use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b.
It seems they trade places in the heart and minds depending on which
runs reliably at the time, routinely. At least we have the choices!Ric

I'm sure you're right about k3b... it's my reserve for Brasero and
Xfburn. They do seem to have their 'dips'.

james

Are you ALL telling me that the problem is BECAUSE of the software, and
NOT the hardware?

M.

James Freer 09-01-2012 10:47 PM

DVD burner not loading new discs

Ric

Just checked and to install k3b it drags in nepomuk. Sorry, won't have that.
You don't need to reference/catalog/database the entire install on your
machine to burn a simple CD/DVD. It also drags in phonon, and I already have
alsa and pulse installed, so I hate when they do that, adding another sound
server to the pile. I have no clue why they just can't use pulse and not
re-invent the wheel. Scruum. Ric

I've just had a look too - i've only recently installed 12.04. It would seem
that k3b has changed quite a lot... i don't want nepomuk either. So should there
be a problem with Brasero and/or Xfburn again it would seem the CLI ones need to
be used - cdw, cdrskin, burn and xorriso. There the only ones i can find so i'll
have to have an experiment.

james