Old 09-03-2012, 01:26 AM
mischa falkenburg

Default DVD burner not loading new discs

On 09/02/2012 05:17 PM, bob wrote:

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 15:57:37 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

On 09/02/2012 11:24 AM, bob wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:35:42 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

On 09/01/2012 07:07 PM, bob wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:41 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

On 09/01/2012 02:44 PM, James Freer wrote:

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, Ric Moore wrote:

On 09/01/2012 01:36 AM, James Freer wrote:

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Ric Moore wrote:
Am i following the "Sin of Stupidity"

Nah! You're good!

One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this
one that is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are
more dependencies than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest
of kde... 'runtime-kde' is installed i noticed.

I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero
but they do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release
seems to switch between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app -
widely used and doesn't have problems that i know off.

It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed
off to use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b.
It seems they trade places in the heart and minds depending on which
runs reliably at the time, routinely. At least we have the choices!Ric

I'm sure you're right about k3b... it's my reserve for Brasero and
Xfburn. They do seem to have their 'dips'.

james

Are you ALL telling me that the problem is BECAUSE of the software, and
NOT the hardware?

M.

Well, this again my be a dumb answer, but as nobody offered an easy way to test the hardware without trying other software, the suggestion seems to be to try other software to see if your hardware works with that. If it works with Brasero, for example, you have a pretty good idea the problem isn't the hardware.

Whether I would use Brasero or something else is not to the point.

The OS used to at least be able to load a blank disc and show it to me
on the Desktop...that is not happening now. WHY(?) has been my question
from the beginning. Is there some line in the code that I may have
"messed up" somehow? How can I find out what the default settings are
for Xubuntu and the dvd to "play nice"?

M.

Mischa, you've probably already considered these and feel free to ignore this post if you have or if I'm missing the point.

(a) When you put the disk in, does the light go on for the drive and the disk spin?

(b) In settings manager, for removable drives and media what is your setting? Under the multimedia tab is there a program selected for a cd?

(a): light goes on and (blank)disk sounds like it attempts to spin -
starts/stops....starts/stops
(as a side note, pre-recorded discs, NOT ones that I've burned, load OK
and play(but so far ONLY w/ Exaile...which I never hardly use...I'm
kinda partial to vlc - now if I try to use vlc I'll get an error message))

(b): the cd & dvd both show totem %d (I didn't put it there)

Here's another side note for information:

This box ALSO has a CD drive. It loads and plays burned CDs fine...even
alows me to use vlc ;-)

So far, I have not been able to swap the DVD drive with another one.

M.

Ok, what happens if in (b) above you simply delete totem %d? (Is Totem installed on your system?)

If that doesn't work, what happens if you replace it with vlc %d (or /usr/bin/vlc, /usr/bin/vlc %d or exaille %d?)

I replaced totem %d with vlc %d. A pre-recorded disc loads and vlc
opens. But right after that there's an error message of 'unable to open
the MRL 'cdda://sr0/'.'

Old 09-03-2012, 03:04 PM
bob

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 21:26:23 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 09/02/2012 05:17 PM, bob wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 15:57:37 -0400
> > mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> >> (a): light goes on and (blank)disk sounds like it attempts to spin -
> >> starts/stops....starts/stops
> >> (as a side note, pre-recorded discs, NOT ones that I've burned, load OK
> >> and play(but so far ONLY w/ Exaile...which I never hardly use...I'm
> >> kinda partial to vlc - now if I try to use vlc I'll get an error message))
> >>
> >> (b): the cd & dvd both show totem %d (I didn't put it there)
> >>
> >> Here's another side note for information:
> >>
> >> This box ALSO has a CD drive. It loads and plays burned CDs fine...even
> >> alows me to use vlc ;-)
> >>
> >> So far, I have not been able to swap the DVD drive with another one.
> >>
> >> M.
> > Ok, what happens if in (b) above you simply delete totem %d? (Is Totem installed on your system?)
> >
> > If that doesn't work, what happens if you replace it with vlc %d (or /usr/bin/vlc, /usr/bin/vlc %d or exaille %d?)

> I replaced totem %d with vlc %d. A pre-recorded disc loads and vlc
> opens. But right after that there's an error message of 'unable to open
> the MRL 'cdda://sr0/'.'

Sorry, Mischa. I'm pretty much out of ideas-unless you actually included the period after the "d"-if so then the message you gave would come up.

"vlc %d" without a period after it should have worked if the drive worked. (If you included the period, sorry, I'd had it there for grammar.)

Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
mischa falkenburg

[...]

I too, had it there for grammar.

When I can (finding might be a slight delay since it's IDE), I'll go the
"swapping-hardware-route".

Fingers crossed.

M.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:11 PM