Old 09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
bob

Default DVD burner not loading new discs

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:41 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 09/01/2012 02:44 PM, James Freer wrote:

> >> Nah! You're good!

> >> It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed
> >> off to use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b.
> >> It seems they trade places in the heart and minds depending on which
> >> runs reliably at the time, routinely. At least we have the choices!Ric
> >
> > I'm sure you're right about k3b... it's my reserve for Brasero and
> > Xfburn. They do seem to have their 'dips'.
> >
> > james
> >
> Are you ALL telling me that the problem is BECAUSE of the software, and
> NOT the hardware?
>
> M.

Well, this again my be a dumb answer, but as nobody offered an easy way to test the hardware without trying other software, the suggestion seems to be to try other software to see if your hardware works with that. If it works with Brasero, for example, you have a pretty good idea the problem isn't the hardware.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 PM
mischa falkenburg

[...]

Whether I would use Brasero or something else is not to the point.

The OS used to at least be able to load a blank disc and show it to me
on the Desktop...that is not happening now. WHY(?) has been my question
from the beginning. Is there some line in the code that I may have
"messed up" somehow? How can I find out what the default settings are
for Xubuntu and the dvd to "play nice"?

M.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:37 AM
James Freer

[...]

A straight forward test of hardware is can you play a music CD or DVD film
[check those beforehand on your TV and DVD player... one can get problems i
heard not that i've experienced it]. I had a problem with the drive recently and
exchanged it for another and fine.

Once you know your drive is ok then if you can't burn a disk the problem has to
be with software. There are four choices; Xfburn, Brasero [once had a problem
with it - i couldn't select the slow speed for an isoburn], k3b [now seems to be
heavier on space and features - not something i want to use now on xubuntu], use
a CLI app maybe GNU Xorriso - i've yet to read about it but probably harder to
get configured [like all GNU] but i'm sure will work fine.

But from what you've said M. Above it looks very much to me like your drive
isn't working properly. Borrow one or swop with another machine to test and then
you'll know.

james

Old 09-02-2012, 03:24 PM
bob

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:35:42 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 09/01/2012 07:07 PM, bob wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 16:58:41 -0400
> > mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> >> Are you ALL telling me that the problem is BECAUSE of the software, and
> >> NOT the hardware?
> >>
> >> M.
> > Well, this again my be a dumb answer, but as nobody offered an easy way to test the hardware without trying other software, the suggestion seems to be to try other software to see if your hardware works with that. If it works with Brasero, for example, you have a pretty good idea the problem isn't the hardware.

> Whether I would use Brasero or something else is not to the point.
>
> The OS used to at least be able to load a blank disc and show it to me
> on the Desktop...that is not happening now. WHY(?) has been my question
> from the beginning. Is there some line in the code that I may have
> "messed up" somehow? How can I find out what the default settings are
> for Xubuntu and the dvd to "play nice"?
>
> M.

Mischa, you've probably already considered these and feel free to ignore this post if you have or if I'm missing the point.

(a) When you put the disk in, does the light go on for the drive and the disk spin?

(b) In settings manager, for removable drives and media what is your setting? Under the multimedia tab is there a program selected for a cd?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM
mischa falkenburg

On 09/02/2012 11:24 AM, bob wrote:

[...]

(a): light goes on and (blank)disk sounds like it attempts to spin -
starts/stops....starts/stops
(as a side note, pre-recorded discs, NOT ones that I've burned, load OK
and play(but so far ONLY w/ Exaile...which I never hardly use...I'm
kinda partial to vlc - now if I try to use vlc I'll get an error message))

(b): the cd & dvd both show totem %d (I didn't put it there)

Here's another side note for information:

This box ALSO has a CD drive. It loads and plays burned CDs fine...even
alows me to use vlc ;-)

So far, I have not been able to swap the DVD drive with another one.

M.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM
bob

On Sun, 02 Sep 2012 15:57:37 -0400
mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> On 09/02/2012 11:24 AM, bob wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 19:35:42 -0400
> > mischa falkenburg <because_productions@myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> >> Whether I would use Brasero or something else is not to the point.
> >>
> >> The OS used to at least be able to load a blank disc and show it to me
> >> on the Desktop...that is not happening now. WHY(?) has been my question
> >> from the beginning. Is there some line in the code that I may have
> >> "messed up" somehow? How can I find out what the default settings are
> >> for Xubuntu and the dvd to "play nice"?
> >>
> >> M.
> >>
> > Mischa, you've probably already considered these and feel free to ignore this post if you have or if I'm missing the point.
> >
> > (a) When you put the disk in, does the light go on for the drive and the disk spin?
> >
> > (b) In settings manager, for removable drives and media what is your setting? Under the multimedia tab is there a program selected for a cd?

> (a): light goes on and (blank)disk sounds like it attempts to spin -
> starts/stops....starts/stops
> (as a side note, pre-recorded discs, NOT ones that I've burned, load OK
> and play(but so far ONLY w/ Exaile...which I never hardly use...I'm
> kinda partial to vlc - now if I try to use vlc I'll get an error message))
>
> (b): the cd & dvd both show totem %d (I didn't put it there)
>
> Here's another side note for information:
>
> This box ALSO has a CD drive. It loads and plays burned CDs fine...even
> alows me to use vlc ;-)
>
> So far, I have not been able to swap the DVD drive with another one.
>
> M.

Ok, what happens if in (b) above you simply delete totem %d? (Is Totem installed on your system?)

If that doesn't work, what happens if you replace it with vlc %d (or /usr/bin/vlc, /usr/bin/vlc %d or exaille %d?)

Old 09-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Ric Moore

On 09/01/2012 07:35 PM, mischa falkenburg wrote:

[...]

It did that to me too, at first. Then after a series of updates, it
works again. No clue on this end WHAT made that happen. This time, I
will NOT dink with the settings or tell it to behave by default in any
fashion. It ALWAYS comes up asking me what to do, and I do not assign a
default behavior. Now that it works, I am too timid to mess with it.
But, it will announce that is I have inserted a blank disk and what do I
want to do. Every time in the past I told it to do something by default,
it disappears. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Ric Moore

On 09/02/2012 05:37 AM, James Freer wrote:

[...]

It got so bad for me that I bought another drive. Problem went away.
Luckily they are cheap to replace. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 09-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Ric Moore

On 09/02/2012 03:57 PM, mischa falkenburg wrote:

[...]

These drives, are they IDE or SATA?? There might be a cabling
consideration. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html