Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
James Freer

Default efax-gtk -- anyone use it?

[xubuntu 12.04]

I have used efax-gtk for almost five years on ubuntu LTS versions.
After this recent install of 12.04 on a new machine i'm wondering if
i've got a problem with the serial port. efax-gtk is straight from the
repos - ver 3.2.8 latest version is 3.2.9... as my compiling isn't too
hot i'm staying with 3.2.8. I'm using the same serial modem i've used
in the past and have a notes file of the efax settings so i'm sure
those haven't changed.

Steps so far: i need to check that the serial port is recognised.
mgetty installed from repos.
james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[ 0.285326] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 0.700570] 00:0d: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
/dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied

ttyS0 is entered for the modem in efax-gtk. [i made a file of notes so
i don't think i've made a mistake on settings.

This link suggests that should configure /etc/inittab which doesn't
seem to be available in xubuntu - there is an equivalent in xubuntu i
imagine - what should i be looking for
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html

Previous times i don't recall doing this so i'd be grateful if someone
could point me in the right direction. efax certainly worked 'out of
the box' on 8.04 and 10.04 so i'm wondering if in 12.04 there have
been some changes.
[I know i'm old fashioned using fax but i find it invaluable].

thanks
james

Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 08/28/2012 12:30 AM, James Freer wrote:
> [xubuntu 12.04]
>
> I have used efax-gtk for almost five years on ubuntu LTS versions.
> After this recent install of 12.04 on a new machine i'm wondering if
> i've got a problem with the serial port. efax-gtk is straight from the
> repos - ver 3.2.8 latest version is 3.2.9... as my compiling isn't too
> hot i'm staying with 3.2.8. I'm using the same serial modem i've used
> in the past and have a notes file of the efax settings so i'm sure
> those haven't changed.
>
> Steps so far: i need to check that the serial port is recognised.
> mgetty installed from repos.
> james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ dmesg | grep tty
> [ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
> [ 0.285326] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> [ 0.700570] 00:0d: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
> /dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
> /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
>
> ttyS0 is entered for the modem in efax-gtk. [i made a file of notes so
> i don't think i've made a mistake on settings.
>
> This link suggests that should configure /etc/inittab which doesn't
> seem to be available in xubuntu - there is an equivalent in xubuntu i
> imagine - what should i be looking for
> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html
>
> Previous times i don't recall doing this so i'd be grateful if someone
> could point me in the right direction. efax certainly worked 'out of
> the box' on 8.04 and 10.04 so i'm wondering if in 12.04 there have
> been some changes.
> [I know i'm old fashioned using fax but i find it invaluable].
>
> thanks
> james

Hey James,

can you try if what's suggested in
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5046994&postcount=3 works?

Cheers,
Pasi

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 PM
James Freer

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Pasi Lallinaho
<pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> On 08/28/2012 12:30 AM, James Freer wrote:
>> [xubuntu 12.04]
>>
>> I have used efax-gtk for almost five years on ubuntu LTS versions.
>> After this recent install of 12.04 on a new machine i'm wondering if
>> i've got a problem with the serial port. efax-gtk is straight from the
>> repos - ver 3.2.8 latest version is 3.2.9... as my compiling isn't too
>> hot i'm staying with 3.2.8. I'm using the same serial modem i've used
>> in the past and have a notes file of the efax settings so i'm sure
>> those haven't changed.
>>
>> Steps so far: i need to check that the serial port is recognised.
>> mgetty installed from repos.
>> james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ dmesg | grep tty
>> [ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
>> [ 0.285326] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>> [ 0.700570] 00:0d: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
>> james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
>> /dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
>> /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
>>
>> ttyS0 is entered for the modem in efax-gtk. [i made a file of notes so
>> i don't think i've made a mistake on settings.
>>
>> This link suggests that should configure /etc/inittab which doesn't
>> seem to be available in xubuntu - there is an equivalent in xubuntu i
>> imagine - what should i be looking for
>> http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Serial/serial-console.html
>>
>> Previous times i don't recall doing this so i'd be grateful if someone
>> could point me in the right direction. efax certainly worked 'out of
>> the box' on 8.04 and 10.04 so i'm wondering if in 12.04 there have
>> been some changes.
>> [I know i'm old fashioned using fax but i find it invaluable].
>>
>> thanks
>> james
>>
> Hey James,
>
> can you try if what's suggested in
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5046994&postcount=3 works?
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi

Thank you so much for replying. I should have looked on the forums
myself but since using xubuntu i haven't had any problems... haven't
been on the forum for about 4 years - i started using the list and
almost forgot it existed.

I certainly never entered permissions before so it would seem
something has changed in ubuntu. The link i gave in the post suggested
other things so i was lost.

i am very grateful as i've got people to send to tomorrow.

Many thanks
james