-   -   reading contents of CD (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/694938-reading-contents-cd.html)

Norman Silverstone 08-17-2012 10:19 AM

reading contents of CD

With the new printer I have bought there is a CD which, amongst other
things, should contain the manual on how to use the machine. The printer
is a Samsung and is Linux compatible. The CD mounts OK but only shows
one folder labelled Linux. On sequential openings the name changes to
noarch, then to at_opt, then to share, then to utils and then 2 folders
named SetlPApplet.html and SetlPApplet.ja.

How do I go about finding the manual and anything else which I may need
to run the printer, please?

Norman

Cody Smith 08-17-2012 02:10 PM

reading contents of CD

you could try "sudo umount /media/Linux && sudo mount --unhide /dev/sr0" (run that from Terminal without quotes)

--c_smith

Norman Silverstone 08-17-2012 02:33 PM

reading contents of CD

you could try "sudo umount /media/Linux && sudo mount --unhide /dev/sr0"
(run that from Terminal without quotes)

I tried that and got the message unmount: /media/Linux: not found.

Norman

Preston Hagar 08-17-2012 04:26 PM

reading contents of CD

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Norman Silverstone
<norman@littletank.org> wrote:
> With the new printer I have bought there is a CD which, amongst other
> things, should contain the manual on how to use the machine. The printer is
> a Samsung and is Linux compatible. The CD mounts OK but only shows one
> folder labelled Linux. On sequential openings the name changes to noarch,
> then to at_opt, then to share, then to utils and then 2 folders named
> SetlPApplet.html and SetlPApplet.ja.
>
> How do I go about finding the manual and anything else which I may need to
> run the printer, please?
>
> Norman

Likely, you will need to either look for a PDF file somewhere on the
CD (possibly not in the Linux folder) or go to Samsung's site and look
up the documentation there. Usually, the CD only contains Windows
drivers/software and sometimes Mac. Depending on the manufacturer,
they may put Linux ppd files on the CD or other software, or more
often they either put it on on their website or submit it to CUPS to
be included with their driver set.

Just because it is Linux compatible doesn't mean they will make it
easy on you :)

Preston

Norman Silverstone 08-17-2012 04:33 PM

reading contents of CD

< snip >

Likely, you will need to either look for a PDF file somewhere on the
CD (possibly not in the Linux folder) or go to Samsung's site and look
up the documentation there. Usually, the CD only contains Windows
drivers/software and sometimes Mac. Depending on the manufacturer,
they may put Linux ppd files on the CD or other software, or more
often they either put it on on their website or submit it to CUPS to
be included with their driver set.

Just because it is Linux compatible doesn't mean they will make it
easy on you :)

Preston, how right you are. I went to their site and found a PDF version
of the manual and I gather that, if I need them, drivers are there also.

Norman

Ric Moore 08-18-2012 01:57 AM

reading contents of CD