Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/)
-   -   Firefox Slow (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/694351-firefox-slow.html)

Lee Gold 08-15-2012 06:34 PM

Firefox Slow
 
Hi,

FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10

Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay before the
letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same thing. Does
anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?

Thanks

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
love email again


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

uteck 08-15-2012 06:52 PM

Firefox Slow
 
What is your CPU usage like? Open a terminal and run 'top' to see if
anything is taking up your CPU or memory.

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Lee Gold <leegold@operamail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10
>
> Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay before the
> letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
> Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same thing. Does
> anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
> love email again
>
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users



--
no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

08-15-2012 06:53 PM

Firefox Slow
 
I did!!!

I was told memory leaks from Firefox addons, it killed the whole computer as far as speed was concerned!!!* I switched to Opera, no more problems!!!

Gérald

----- Message d'origine -----
De: Lee Gold <leegold@operamail.com>
Date: Mercredi, 15 Août 2012, 2:34 pm
Objet: [xubuntu-users] Firefox Slow
À: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions <xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>

> Hi,
>
> FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10
>
> Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay
> before the
> letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
> Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same
> thing. Does
> anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
> ************************* love email again
>
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Lee Gold 08-15-2012 07:13 PM

Firefox Slow
 
xorg uses about 10%-20%. nothing else seems significant...firefox about
2-10%%

Other browsers Opera Epthany, chromium don't have the problem only the
firefox does. THe problem is I only find Firefox and Seamonkey intuitive
and easy to use, the others make me pull hair out and Epithany doesn't
have enough features, though I'll switch eventually...


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012, at 11:52 AM, uteck wrote:
> What is your CPU usage like? Open a terminal and run 'top' to see if
> anything is taking up your CPU or memory.
>
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Lee Gold <leegold@operamail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10
> >
> > Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay before the
> > letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
> > Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same thing. Does
> > anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
> > love email again
> >
> >
> > --
> > xubuntu-users mailing list
> > xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
>
>
>
> --
> no .sig found
> Please restart your browser.
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - The professional email service


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Lee Gold 08-15-2012 07:21 PM

Firefox Slow
 
This is probably my situation.

IMO I have trouble with software that tries to abstract all usability
away from the user, that tries to be "cute". I like straight ahead
obvious functional menus. I spent 10 minutes trying to set my homepage
in Chromium and could not figure it out...not my cup tea. Maybe
Opera...Thanks


On Wed, Aug 15, 2012, at 11:53 AM, gerald.jean@videotron.ca wrote:
> I did!!!
>
> I was told memory leaks from Firefox addons, it killed the whole computer
> as far as speed was concerned!!! I switched to Opera, no more
> problems!!!
>
> Gérald
>
> ----- Message d'origine -----
> De: Lee Gold <leegold@operamail.com>
> Date: Mercredi, 15 Août 2012, 2:34 pm
> Objet: [xubuntu-users] Firefox Slow
> À: Xubuntu Support and User Discussions <xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10
> >
> > Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay
> > before the
> > letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
> > Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same
> > thing. Does
> > anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.fm - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
> > love email again
> >
> >
> > --
> > xubuntu-users mailing list
> > xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> > Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Accessible with your email software
or over the web


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Ric Moore 08-16-2012 05:54 AM

Firefox Slow
 
On 08/15/2012 02:34 PM, Lee Gold wrote:

Hi,

FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10

Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay before the
letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same thing. Does
anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?


Disable addons and extensions until you find the culprit. The one that
fills in forms for me really had me lagging. So, I ripped it out, while
it was screaming like a Mandrake Root. I felt SO much better. Ric




--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Lee Gold 08-31-2012 06:43 PM

Firefox Slow
 
FF 15.0 just frooze Xubuntu 11.10. Never happened before. I thought this
stopped happening with Netscape 4.0 - a top heavy javascripted page
(the new improved Yahoo) couldn't get itself together and FF just fooze
and EVERYTHING else on the desktop also frooze. I'm just reporting what
I see...

Don't see the equivalent slowness happening on dual booted on same
laptop WinXp with FF with tons of addons.

Epthany/Gnome Web Browser on Xubuntu is very fast, very smooth, but less
features vs. FF.



On Wed, Aug 15, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 08/15/2012 02:34 PM, Lee Gold wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > FF 14.01, Xubuntu 11.10
> >
> > Firefox is slow - when I type in a form there's a time delay before the
> > letters show up. I have a fast laptop and never was a problem before.
> > Xubuntu 12.04 does the same thing. Seamonkey does the same thing. Does
> > anyone else experience this? Are there any fixes?
>
> Disable addons and extensions until you find the culprit. The one that
> fills in forms for me really had me lagging. So, I ripped it out, while
> it was screaming like a Mandrake Root. I felt SO much better. Ric
>
>
>
> --
> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
> "There are two Great Sins in the world...
> ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
> Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

James Freer 08-31-2012 10:57 PM

Firefox Slow
 
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Lee Gold wrote:





FF 15.0 just frooze Xubuntu 11.10. Never happened before. I thought this
stopped happening with Netscape 4.0 - a top heavy javascripted page
(the new improved Yahoo) couldn't get itself together and FF just fooze
and EVERYTHING else on the desktop also frooze. I'm just reporting what
I see...

Don't see the equivalent slowness happening on dual booted on same
laptop WinXp with FF with tons of addons.

Epthany/Gnome Web Browser on Xubuntu is very fast, very smooth, but less
features vs. FF.


I found FF slow even when i'd removed all addons. I found Epiphany fast but
didn't cope with some webpages. I switched to Chrome about a year ago and like
it. Those who don't like google tracking there is Chromium [but i had problems
with that... can't remember now]. Chrome has so far coped with all and i'm
pleased with it.


james


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

Lee Gold 09-01-2012 12:38 AM

Firefox Slow
 
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012, at 03:57 PM, James Freer wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Lee Gold wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >
> > FF 15.0 just frooze Xubuntu 11.10. Never happened before. I thought this
> > stopped happening with Netscape 4.0 - a top heavy javascripted page
> > (the new improved Yahoo) couldn't get itself together and FF just fooze
> > and EVERYTHING else on the desktop also frooze. I'm just reporting what
> > I see...
> >
> > Don't see the equivalent slowness happening on dual booted on same
> > laptop WinXp with FF with tons of addons.
> >
> > Epthany/Gnome Web Browser on Xubuntu is very fast, very smooth, but less
> > features vs. FF.
>
> I found FF slow even when i'd removed all addons. I found Epiphany fast
> but
> didn't cope with some webpages. I switched to Chrome about a year ago and
> like
> it. Those who don't like google tracking there is Chromium [but i had
> problems
> with that... can't remember now]. Chrome has so far coped with all and
> i'm
> pleased with it.
>
> james
>

Thanks. I need to apologize though. I found the even with Epipthany the
particular web page was causing the same problem - freezing the desktop
. So I use Firefox and disable javascript for the page and it still
works pretty much but is trouble free so far. Firefox has been a bit
sluggish but seems like page's scripting is causing problems(?) I won't
harp anymore about this...

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - mmm... Fastmail...


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.