Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM
John Peterson

Default LTS

Will Xubuntu move toward a 5 year LTS?--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 AM
Pasi Lallinaho

On 08/13/2012 03:01 PM, John Peterson
wrote:

Will Xubuntu move toward a 5 year LTS?

Most probably not.

3 years is already on the limits for us, and unless we'll get a lot
of new contributors for both Xfce and Xubuntu, we're not able to
promise support for 5 years.

Yt,

Pasi

Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu *http://shimmerproject.org/

Old 08-14-2012, 09:08 AM
James Freer

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 03:01 PM, John Peterson wrote:
>
> Will Xubuntu move toward a 5 year LTS?
>

> Most probably not.
>
> 3 years is already on the limits for us, and unless we'll get a lot of new
> contributors for both Xfce and Xubuntu, we're not able to promise support
> for 5 years.
>
> Yt,
> Pasi

Why should one want a 5 year LTS. While the current LTS is 3 year, in
practice it's two - as the following release is available then. I've
been using LTS but in the 2nd year one finds quite a number of apps
may need to be compiled to upgrade - that's what i've found. For me i
find it best to do an annual install to keep up with new releases.

Given the current workload i'd have thought it was better to have
simply had an annual release. The current 6 month release i feel
doesn't allow enough time to carry out the necessary development and
testing.

My 2c that's all

james