Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 AM
Michael Bird

Default Xubuntu 12.04 x 64 Firefox problem

Whenever I launch Firefox from the docky it fails to launch my homepage whereas if I launch Firefox from the applications drop down it alway loads my homepage. Is this a bug or a Firefox problem?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:14 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Michael Bird
<michaelfrancisbird@gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever I launch Firefox from the docky it fails to launch my homepage
> whereas if I launch Firefox from the applications drop down it alway loads
> my homepage. Is this a bug or a Firefox problem?

Not entirely clear on what the "docky" is, but I'm not seeing this
whether I use the launcher panel, the apps menu or a keyboard
shortcut.

Can you provide any more details?

MR

Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 AM

<michaelfrancisbird at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Whenever I launch Firefox from the docky it fails to launch my homepage
>> whereas if I launch Firefox from the applications drop down it alway loads
>> my homepage. Is this a bug or a Firefox problem?
>>
> Not entirely clear on what the "docky" is, but I'm not seeing this
> whether I use the launcher panel, the apps menu or a keyboard
> shortcut.

(1) Docky is a fruit-based gnome dock:
http://wiki.go-docky.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Docky_wiki

(2) Your problem with firefox reminds me of a similar problem I have with the standard
launcher in xubuntu. I wanted to have a button to launch emacs from the standard xubuntu
lanucher. But if I simply do that and click on the button I would get a plain old emacs
window, whereas I want something like
emacs -fg white -bg gray
To do that I have to edit the "properties" of that emacs launch button, specifically specifying
the command
/usr/bin/emacs23 -fg white -bg gray
I suspect you are running into a similar issue. Suggestion: Go to the firefox button on docky
and check its "properties" (or whatever it is called) and find out exactly what command it uses.
Alternatively: Docky should have the option for users to create customized launch button; try
to create your own firefox button (specify full path and whatever parameters you use) and see
happen (do make sure not to confuse your customized button with the default one, e.g. by using
a different icon -- you can always change that later on).

Good luck!