Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default How to configure two monitors on a laptop with Intel graphics (Arrandale chipset)

I just replaced my Lucid Ubuntu with Precise Xubuntu on my laptop. I
ran two monitors before, but I don't seem to know what app I need to
configure them in Xubuntu, and I'm getting the same image on both
monitors.

If I right-click the desktop and choose "desktop settings" I get a
dialog box that knows I have two monitors and offers to configure
backgrounds, menus and icons for them separately (but since I'm
getting a single image, this does not work).

My desktop has nVidia, which has its own setting manager. The Ubuntu
setup on this laptop had a different utility, but I don't want to have
to restore that backup just to find its name.

Anybody know?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Bruno Benitez

I just replaced my Lucid Ubuntu with Precise Xubuntu on my laptop. *I

ran two monitors before, but I don't seem to know what app I need to

configure them in Xubuntu, and I'm getting the same image on both

monitors.

If I right-click the desktop and choose "desktop settings" I get a

dialog box that knows I have two monitors and offers to configure

backgrounds, menus and icons for them separately (but since I'm

getting a single image, this does not work).

My desktop has nVidia, which has its own setting manager. *The Ubuntu

setup on this laptop had a different utility, but I don't want to have

to restore that backup just to find its name.

Anybody know?

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Hi Kevin, please see FAQ 5: http://xubuntu.org/news/faq-1204-precise/

good luck.
--
Bruno.-

Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 AM
Elfy

I just replaced my Lucid Ubuntu with Precise Xubuntu on my laptop. I
ran two monitors before, but I don't seem to know what app I need to
configure them in Xubuntu, and I'm getting the same image on both
monitors.

If I right-click the desktop and choose "desktop settings" I get a
dialog box that knows I have two monitors and offers to configure
backgrounds, menus and icons for them separately (but since I'm
getting a single image, this does not work).

My desktop has nVidia, which has its own setting manager. The Ubuntu
setup on this laptop had a different utility, but I don't want to have
to restore that backup just to find its name.

Anybody know?

If you are using nvidia drivers then you need to use th nvidia-settings
option is System Settings

Elfy

Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Ric Moore

I just replaced my Lucid Ubuntu with Precise Xubuntu on my laptop. I
ran two monitors before, but I don't seem to know what app I need to
configure them in Xubuntu, and I'm getting the same image on both
monitors.

If I right-click the desktop and choose "desktop settings" I get a
dialog box that knows I have two monitors and offers to configure
backgrounds, menus and icons for them separately (but since I'm
getting a single image, this does not work).

My desktop has nVidia, which has its own setting manager. The Ubuntu
setup on this laptop had a different utility, but I don't want to have
to restore that backup just to find its name.

You still have to use the nVidia settings manager (nvidia-settings) to
enable "twinview". The usual desktop settings manager doesn't do squat.
Make sure that when you have it configured that you save it using "Save
to X Configuration File" in the lower right hand corner of the "X Server
Display Configuration" tab ... which is also where you pick "Twinview".
Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html