Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Xubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/)
-   -   vim without gvim? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/690009-vim-without-gvim.html)

"Kevin O'Gorman" 08-02-2012 07:05 PM

vim without gvim?
 
I've been using vi and clones since around 1984, so I'm pretty much
married to them. I've just started dabbling with a pure xubuntu
install, and found that my na´ve addition of vim also pulled in a huge
bunch of other packages, including gnome libraries that I'd prefer to
not have.

I don't really want a GUI editor, as I learned vim without a mouse and
consider the mouse a hindrance for almost everything except menus and
explicily graphical chores.

Is there a keyboard-only vim package, or will I have to roll my own?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

James Freer 08-02-2012 10:20 PM

vim without gvim?
 
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using vi and clones since around 1984, so I'm pretty much
> married to them. I've just started dabbling with a pure xubuntu
> install, and found that my na´ve addition of vim also pulled in a huge
> bunch of other packages, including gnome libraries that I'd prefer to
> not have.
>
> I don't really want a GUI editor, as I learned vim without a mouse and
> consider the mouse a hindrance for almost everything except menus and
> explicily graphical chores.
>
> Is there a keyboard-only vim package, or will I have to roll my own?
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

I'm not sure what you've done there. It would seem you've installed
vim-gnome... which is the gui version. If you'd installed vim [7.2]
you'd have got what you wanted. nvi if you want a pure vi version.

james

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

TOM TOM 08-03-2012 09:04 AM

vim without gvim?
 
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using vi and clones since around 1984, so I'm pretty much

> married to them. I've just started dabbling with a pure xubuntu

> install, and found that my na´ve addition of vim also pulled in a huge

> bunch of other packages, including gnome libraries that I'd prefer to

> not have.

>

> I don't really want a GUI editor, as I learned vim without a mouse and

> consider the mouse a hindrance for almost everything except menus and

> explicily graphical chores.

>

> Is there a keyboard-only vim package, or will I have to roll my own?

>

> --

> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD



I'm not sure what you've done there. It would seem you've installed

vim-gnome... which is the gui version. If you'd installed vim [7.2]

you'd have got what you wanted. nvi if you want a pure vi version.



james



--

xubuntu-users mailing list

xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


sudo apt-get install vim is all you need
--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

"Kevin O'Gorman" 08-04-2012 03:58 PM

vim without gvim?
 
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:04 AM, TOM TOM <thomasthoma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:05 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've been using vi and clones since around 1984, so I'm pretty much
>> > married to them. I've just started dabbling with a pure xubuntu
>> > install, and found that my na´ve addition of vim also pulled in a huge
>> > bunch of other packages, including gnome libraries that I'd prefer to
>> > not have.
>> >
>> > I don't really want a GUI editor, as I learned vim without a mouse and
>> > consider the mouse a hindrance for almost everything except menus and
>> > explicily graphical chores.
>> >
>> > Is there a keyboard-only vim package, or will I have to roll my own?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
>>
>> I'm not sure what you've done there. It would seem you've installed
>> vim-gnome... which is the gui version. If you'd installed vim [7.2]
>> you'd have got what you wanted. nvi if you want a pure vi version.
>>
>> james
>>
>> --
>> xubuntu-users mailing list
>> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
>
>
> sudo apt-get install vim is all you need

You both are right. I reinstalled 12.04 and found that any of
{vim-tiny, vim, vim-nox} would leave out the GUI stuff. Must have
been a brain fart. I opted for vim-nox. If I want a GUI, I might try
vim-gtk since there are already GTK libraries installed on the system.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:57 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.