Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Default UEFI vs xubuntu

I plan to get a new laptop soon, and I'm looking for advice re window 8's UEFI.

The laptop I am interested in has not yet been extensively reviewed (especially concerning compatibility with (x)ubuntu); normally I would wait until I read more about it.* But window 8 will come out at the end of October and I don't know when OEM will start putting window 8 image on new orders.** I am aware that ubuntu has made a deal with the devil, I mean microsoft, to allow ubuntu to be installed on OEM window 8 machines.

(1)* I assume the same holds for xubuntu?

(2)* I have not yet decided if I would input 12.04 or 12.10 on the laptop.* If I do end up getting a machine with UEFI lock, does that mean I cannot install 12.04?* And if I get the laptop now (and hence comes with window 7), can I install 12.10 (or later image) later on? * Put it in another way, how would the installation process (I use xubuntu CD) recognizes if the laptop has UEFI or not?

(3)* I plan to keep my laptop for a number years -- well past the support timeframe for xubuntu 12.04 -- what is xubuntu's future plan for UEFI?

I of course realize that nobody has a definitively answer to (3); I'm just cursious as to what directions/ideas the xubuntu team might have.** I absolutely do need concrete advice about the timing of my laptop purchase; for reasons I won't get into, I need to either get it in a month or wait until November...

Many thanks!
p.s.* I am aware that there are vendors that sell laptops with open source boot loader, but for reasons I won't get into I cannot take advantage of that :-(--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 08-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Ric Moore

I plan to get a new laptop soon, and I'm looking for advice re window
8's UEFI.

The laptop I am interested in has not yet been extensively reviewed
(especially concerning compatibility with (x)ubuntu); normally I would
wait until I read more about it. But window 8 will come out at the end
of October and I don't know when OEM will start putting window 8 image
on new orders. I am aware that ubuntu has made a deal with the devil,
I mean microsoft, to allow ubuntu to be installed on OEM window 8 machines.

You're supposed to be able to disable that bios UEFI scheme. You've
lived without it for years, I assume. I wouldn't mourn it's loss nor
lose a minutes sleep over it. Just Say No! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html