FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Xubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
uteck
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

I think you need to change the "Release Upgrade" from 'Normal' to
'Long Term Support Releases only'. The next release after 10.04 is
10.10 which is not supported any more, so the 'Normal' setting will
not report back anything.

Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
sudo update-manager -d
That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
show 12.04 as the only option.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM, gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> dear all,
>
> greetings.
>
> i am using xubuntu 10.04 and i wish to upgrade to 12.04. i followed the
> instructions at:
>
> <http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/>
>
> but in vain.
>
> i am surprised that after checking for new updates there is NO message which
> appears informing me of the availability of the new release. shouldn't 12.04
> appear at this stage?
>
> please help.
>
> gerald.
>
> --
> Dr. G. T. Marewo
> Mathematics Department
> University of Swaziland
> gtmarewo@uniswa.sz
> cell: +26876400372
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
>



--
no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Ralf ranfyy
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
> I think you need to change the "Release Upgrade" from 'Normal' to
> 'Long Term Support Releases only'. The next release after 10.04 is
> 10.10 which is not supported any more, so the 'Normal' setting will
> not report back anything.
>
> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
> sudo update-manager -d
> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
> show 12.04 as the only option.

NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).

>
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM, gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> dear all,
>>
>> greetings.
>>
>> i am using xubuntu 10.04 and i wish to upgrade to 12.04. i followed the
>> instructions at:
>>
>> <http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/>
>>
>> but in vain.
>>
>> i am surprised that after checking for new updates there is NO message which
>> appears informing me of the availability of the new release. shouldn't 12.04
>> appear at this stage?
>>
>> please help.
>>
>> gerald.
>>
>> --
>> Dr. G. T. Marewo
>> Mathematics Department
>> University of Swaziland
>> gtmarewo@uniswa.sz
>> cell: +26876400372
>>
>> --
>> xubuntu-users mailing list
>> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
>>
>
>
>
> --
> no .sig found
> Please restart your browser.
>
> --
> xubuntu-users mailing list
> xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
gerald marewo
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

dear uteck,

thanks for the reply. this is what happened:

before sending my post to this forum:
- changed 'release upgrade' from 'LTS only' to 'normal'
- check reported no new release

this morning:
- check reported 'new ubuntu release 10.10 available' BUT support for that ended like you said.

NB: now:
- changed 'release upgrade' from 'normal' to 'LTS only'
- check reported 'new ubuntu release 12.04 is now available'.

HOORAY. i wonder why i did NOT get the same report yesterday though. could it be that i rebooted the machine overnight? anyway problem seems solved. will try the upgrade now.

thanks for the help uteck.

Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
sudo update-manager -d
That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
show 12.04 as the only option.

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:47 AM
gerald marewo
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

hi,


________________________________
From: Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com>
2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
> sudo update-manager -d
> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
> show 12.04 as the only option.

NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).


ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.

will try the upgrade now.

thanks guys.


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Ralf ranfyy
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

2012/8/2 gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com>:
> hi,
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com>
> 2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
>> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
>> sudo update-manager -d
>> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
>> show 12.04 as the only option.
>
> NO it will not.
> Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).
>
>
> ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.
>
> will try the upgrade now.

good luck.

I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then

> thanks guys.

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

On 08/02/2012 02:51 AM, Ralf ranfyy wrote:

2012/8/2 gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com>:

hi,


________________________________
From: Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com>
2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:

Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
sudo update-manager -d
That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
show 12.04 as the only option.


NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).


ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.

will try the upgrade now.


good luck.

I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then


That's the point for the delay to reach .1 so it's more stable to be
considered a candidate for LTS replacement status. Otherwise you might
as well be running Fedora. <cackles> Ric



--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html



--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 AM
gerald marewo
 
Default 12.04 upgrade problems

> I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then


That's the point for the delay to reach .1 so it's more stable to be
considered a candidate for LTS replacement status. Otherwise you might
as well be running Fedora. <cackles> Ric

i will also wait. thanks.

--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users


--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/xubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org