-   -   12.04 upgrade problems (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/689514-12-04-upgrade-problems.html)

uteck 08-01-2012 12:55 PM

12.04 upgrade problems

I think you need to change the "Release Upgrade" from 'Normal' to
'Long Term Support Releases only'. The next release after 10.04 is
10.10 which is not supported any more, so the 'Normal' setting will
not report back anything.

Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
sudo update-manager -d
That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
show 12.04 as the only option.

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM, gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> dear all,
>
> greetings.
>
> i am using xubuntu 10.04 and i wish to upgrade to 12.04. i followed the
> instructions at:
>
> <http://xubuntu.org/upgrading/>
>
> but in vain.
>
> i am surprised that after checking for new updates there is NO message which
> appears informing me of the availability of the new release. shouldn't 12.04
> appear at this stage?
>
> please help.
>
> gerald.
>
> --
> Dr. G. T. Marewo
> Mathematics Department
> University of Swaziland
> gtmarewo@uniswa.sz
> cell: +26876400372

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Ralf ranfyy 08-01-2012 01:42 PM

12.04 upgrade problems

2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
> I think you need to change the "Release Upgrade" from 'Normal' to
> 'Long Term Support Releases only'. The next release after 10.04 is
> 10.10 which is not supported any more, so the 'Normal' setting will
> not report back anything.
>
> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
> sudo update-manager -d
> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
> show 12.04 as the only option.

NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).

gerald marewo 08-02-2012 06:40 AM

12.04 upgrade problems

dear uteck,

thanks for the reply. this is what happened:

before sending my post to this forum:
- changed 'release upgrade' from 'LTS only' to 'normal'
- check reported no new release

this morning:
- check reported 'new ubuntu release 10.10 available' BUT support for that ended like you said.

NB: now:
- changed 'release upgrade' from 'normal' to 'LTS only'
- check reported 'new ubuntu release 12.04 is now available'.

HOORAY. i wonder why i did NOT get the same report yesterday though. could it be that i rebooted the machine overnight? anyway problem seems solved. will try the upgrade now.

thanks for the help uteck.

gerald marewo 08-02-2012 06:47 AM

12.04 upgrade problems

hi,

________________________________
From: Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com>
2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
> sudo update-manager -d
> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
> show 12.04 as the only option.

NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).

ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.

will try the upgrade now.

thanks guys.

Ralf ranfyy 08-02-2012 06:51 AM

12.04 upgrade problems

2012/8/2 gerald marewo <gtmarewo@yahoo.com>:
> hi,
>

> ________________________________
> From: Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com>
> 2012/8/1 uteck <theuteck@gmail.com>:
>> Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
>> sudo update-manager -d
>> That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
>> show 12.04 as the only option.
>
> NO it will not.
> Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).
>

> ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.
>
> will try the upgrade now.

good luck.

I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then :)

Ric Moore 08-02-2012 09:18 PM

12.04 upgrade problems

Another way is from the command line try running the updater this way:
sudo update-manager -d
That will force it to check for a new distribution update and should
show 12.04 as the only option.

NO it will not.
Lucid users can install Precise when point release 1 is out (this month).

ralf, 'update-manager -d' this morning reported '12.04 is available'.

will try the upgrade now.

good luck.

I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then :)

That's the point for the delay to reach .1 so it's more stable to be
considered a candidate for LTS replacement status. Otherwise you might
as well be running Fedora. <cackles> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

gerald marewo 08-03-2012 06:36 AM

12.04 upgrade problems

> I will wait the 2, 3 weeks. More bugs squashed till then :)

That's the point for the delay to reach .1 so it's more stable to be
considered a candidate for LTS replacement status. Otherwise you might
as well be running Fedora. <cackles> Ric

i will also wait. thanks.