-   -   Updating distro (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/687809-updating-distro.html)

Neil Winchurst 07-26-2012 04:30 PM

Updating distro

I have used Linux for many years. Until recently my daughter shared my
desktop computer as a separate user. However she has just had a birthday
and I bought her a laptop and installed Xubuntu 12.04 on it.

So now, once I have transferred all the files she wants to keep, I can
upgrade my desktop, or rather install a more up to date distro. Of
recent years I have stayed with KDE in one form or another, either
Kubuntu or Mint KDE.

However, via VBox I have looked at various other distros, which is one
reason I knew that Xubuntu would be a good choice. Recently I have
tested Mint 13 KDE and Mint 13 Xfce. And I have had some problems.

Firstly with the spell check on Libre Office. I have googled about this
and found that a lot of people have had similar problems. I still
haven't got it sorted on either of the Mints. Also I do use Kgpg to
encrypt some of my files before storing them on my website. I cannot get
Kgpg to start on either Mint, even though it was included in the
original installation.

Both of these work just fine in Xubuntu. And I have just checked and I
see that Xubuntu 12.04 is supported for three years. What more could I
ask? Also, I can see that there is plenty of help available on this
list. Great.

I am so pleased that I just had to write about it.

Thanks to everyone on this list,

Neil