-   -   security problem? (again) (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/687466-security-problem-again.html)

Wybo Dekker 07-25-2012 09:20 PM

security problem? (again)

On 2012-07-24 18:14, I wrote:
> When I create a file in my home directory as root:
>
> $ sudo touch test
>
> I get:
>
> $ ls -l test
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-07-24 18:09 test
>
> I cannot, without sudo, overwrite this file, but I can remove it with rm
> -rf. Is that correct? And if not: how can I find out what's wrong with
> my system?

I know, this was a stupid question, but that's because of my lack of
intelligence, sorry. But could someone verify that the described
behavior is, or is not, normal?

--
Wybo

Mike Kupfer 07-26-2012 03:08 AM

security problem? (again)

Wybo Dekker wrote:

> On 2012-07-24 18:14, I wrote:
> > When I create a file in my home directory as root:
> >
> > $ sudo touch test
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > $ ls -l test
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2012-07-24 18:09 test
> >
> > I cannot, without sudo, overwrite this file, but I can remove it with rm
> > -rf. Is that correct? And if not: how can I find out what's wrong with
> > my system?
>
> I know, this was a stupid question, but that's because of my lack of
> intelligence, sorry. But could someone verify that the described
> behavior is, or is not, normal?

That behavior is normal. Anyone with write permission to a directory
can create a new file in it, or remove an existing file. (Well, there's
an exception to that rule, but it probably doesn't apply to your home
directory.)

mike

Wybo Dekker 07-26-2012 10:22 AM

security problem? (again)