-   -   Xsane behavior change with no xsane change (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/687127-xsane-behavior-change-no-xsane-change.html)

MR ZenWiz 07-25-2012 01:25 AM

Xsane behavior change with no xsane change

I recently installed Xubuntu 12.04 and then xsane 0.998, upgrading
from Ubuntu 10.10 (where I also had xsane 0.998 installed), and I
notice that there is a problem.

In Ubuntu 10.10, xsane always remembered in what directory I last
saved my scans. Now it goes to a "Recently used" pseudo-directory
with nothing selected.

This makes it take an extra click or set of keystrokes to save the
scanned image.

Did something in Ubuntu change that might cause this?

Thanks.

MR

07-25-2012 09:32 PM

On Tuesday, July 24, 2012 06:25:14 PM MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I recently installed Xubuntu 12.04 and then xsane 0.998, upgrading
> from Ubuntu 10.10 (where I also had xsane 0.998 installed), and I
> notice that there is a problem.
>
> In Ubuntu 10.10, xsane always remembered in what directory I last
> saved my scans. Now it goes to a "Recently used" pseudo-directory
> with nothing selected.
>
> This makes it take an extra click or set of keystrokes to save the
> scanned image.
>
> Did something in Ubuntu change that might cause this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> MR

Actually, that might be an Xubuntu "feature", I have the same thing in Kubuntu
with other apps that would perform differently in Ubuntu. but I myself don't
feel a few extra keystrokes or clicks is hardly worth making a huge fuss
about, but everyone has different views. so yeah.

--c_smith

MR ZenWiz 07-26-2012 11:29 PM

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM, <cody.smith9202@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, that might be an Xubuntu "feature", I have the same thing in Kubuntu
> with other apps that would perform differently in Ubuntu. but I myself don't
> feel a few extra keystrokes or clicks is hardly worth making a huge fuss
> about, but everyone has different views. so yeah.

It's not so much the issue of one extra click (although that is
annoying when I have to hunt for where the last directory I used was
so I can click it).

It's an issue of feature changes where someone else (developers) think
that it's ok to change a feature without any sort of backward
compatibility. I've been a software developer in this business for 32
1/2 years and one of the caveats most of my companies live by is
"Don't change anything that's out there within (x) releases if it will
break backward compatibility."

The general rule to live by is never pis off the customers, even if
the product is free. When you implement a new way of doing something,
you either make it a new option the users can select (opt-in) or you
give them a way to run the old way (opt-out), but you don't just
change it and figure the users can just deal with it.

I'm in Xubuntu now because the Unity and GNOME3 interfaces and
controls suck, especially at giving the users control over how they
want it to look/act/behave/be compatible. Xfce is more flexible and
lacks some of the bugs G2 had (bravo!).

To bend an old quote, "The computers is a perfect idiot - it will do
exactly what you tell it to do, no more, no less, so let *me* tell it
how to do so to the maximum extent possible."

MR