Old 07-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Dennis

Default Video Display garbled

Hi
I've just assembled a new box, MB is ASUS P8Z77-V LX. *I did an install of 12.04 xubuntu and am having video garbled/garbage issues. *I'm using the on-board graphics (Intel HD)

The Xubuntu initial display with the progress bar is fine. *When the login dialog displays that's when the trouble starts. *There is large amounts of pixelation, blocky sections, defects etc. *It is clearly not rendering properly. *It is not like other video issues I saw on other web forums - not full screen defects with repeating lines or patterns (which suggests a hardware problem or defect)

I am familiar enough with the xubuntu screens so I am able to login, run updates etc. *When I switch to a console, all is 100% clean/clear/crisp. *When I am sitting in the graphical screen, it tends to go into a monitor blank-out / display again cycle as well, almost as if a process is hunting for a video mode or perhaps a process dies/respawns.

I tried changing screen resolution (no change), connecting to a VGA cable instead of DVI (no change) and even to a different monitor. * I did boot another live linux distro (SLAX) and it came up in KDE environment with perfect graphics (it had network card issues, but that is a different problem) so I tend to think driver is the problem?

Suggestions for troubleshooting? *Log files that might help me? *How do I find out what driver was loaded?
Thanks!Dennis

Old 07-24-2012, 01:00 PM
uteck

The log you want is probably /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Do you have compis or any other 3D effects program running? That
might be causing the problems so try disabling it. Otherwise, I think
if you boot into recovery mode (Press the shift key when you boot to
make the grub boot menu display) then you can try changing the
graphics driver. vesa or fbdev might make things work but will
probably lose any 3D rendering.

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Dennis <fraggle.rok@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've just assembled a new box, MB is ASUS P8Z77-V LX. I did an install of
> 12.04 xubuntu and am having video garbled/garbage issues. I'm using the
> on-board graphics (Intel HD)
>
> The Xubuntu initial display with the progress bar is fine. When the login
> dialog displays that's when the trouble starts. There is large amounts of
> pixelation, blocky sections, defects etc. It is clearly not rendering
> properly. It is not like other video issues I saw on other web forums - not
> full screen defects with repeating lines or patterns (which suggests a
> hardware problem or defect)
>
> I am familiar enough with the xubuntu screens so I am able to login, run
> updates etc. When I switch to a console, all is 100% clean/clear/crisp.
> When I am sitting in the graphical screen, it tends to go into a monitor
> blank-out / display again cycle as well, almost as if a process is hunting
> for a video mode or perhaps a process dies/respawns.
>
> I tried changing screen resolution (no change), connecting to a VGA cable
> instead of DVI (no change) and even to a different monitor. I did boot
> another live linux distro (SLAX) and it came up in KDE environment with
> perfect graphics (it had network card issues, but that is a different
> problem) so I tend to think driver is the problem?
>
> Suggestions for troubleshooting? Log files that might help me? How do I
> find out what driver was loaded?
>
> Thanks!
> Dennis

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Ralf ranfyy

2012/7/21 Dennis <fraggle.rok@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I've just assembled a new box, MB is ASUS P8Z77-V LX. I did an install of
> 12.04 xubuntu and am having video garbled/garbage issues. I'm using the
> on-board graphics (Intel HD)
>
> The Xubuntu initial display with the progress bar is fine. When the login
> dialog displays that's when the trouble starts. There is large amounts of
> pixelation, blocky sections, defects etc. It is clearly not rendering
> properly. It is not like other video issues I saw on other web forums - not
> full screen defects with repeating lines or patterns (which suggests a
> hardware problem or defect)
>
> I am familiar enough with the xubuntu screens so I am able to login, run
> updates etc. When I switch to a console, all is 100% clean/clear/crisp.
> When I am sitting in the graphical screen, it tends to go into a monitor
> blank-out / display again cycle as well, almost as if a process is hunting
> for a video mode or perhaps a process dies/respawns.
>
> I tried changing screen resolution (no change), connecting to a VGA cable
> instead of DVI (no change) and even to a different monitor. I did boot
> another live linux distro (SLAX) and it came up in KDE environment with
> perfect graphics (it had network card issues, but that is a different
> problem) so I tend to think driver is the problem?
>
> Suggestions for troubleshooting? Log files that might help me?

uteck already told you that.

> How do I
> find out what driver was loaded?

$ lspci -v

also shows which kernel module gets loaded for the card.

There where some problems with the Intel graphics drivers in the 3.x
kernel line:
http://www.h-online.com/open/features/Kernel-Log-Intel-hibernate-bug-fixed-1503282.html

But I thought basically only with hibernate (?)

> Thanks!
> Dennis

Ralf