Old 07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Odd terminal behavior: partial screen scrolling

My system is Ubuntu 11.04 with added xubuntu components, running xfce sessions.

Using gnome-terminal, ever since some updates a few days ago, normal
command-line operations scroll only 30 lines even when the window is
twice that high. This leaves the top of the window blank; lines that
would scroll up simply disappear. Curses-based things like less(1)
and vim(1) use the whole screen.

This seems very odd. Since I'm temporarily in a kind of hybrid
condition, I'm not sure I should file a bug or which distro to file it
against. The system is odd but useable, so I'm just looking for fixes
or (non-)confirmation.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-21-2012, 05:12 PM
Phil Dobbin

Old 07-21-2012, 07:17 PM
C de-Avillez

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:04:12 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> My system is Ubuntu 11.04 with added xubuntu components, running xfce
> sessions.
>
> Using gnome-terminal, ever since some updates a few days ago, normal
> command-line operations scroll only 30 lines even when the window is
> twice that high. This leaves the top of the window blank; lines that
> would scroll up simply disappear. Curses-based things like less(1)
> and vim(1) use the whole screen.
>
> This seems very odd. Since I'm temporarily in a kind of hybrid
> condition, I'm not sure I should file a bug or which distro to file it
> against. The system is odd but useable, so I'm just looking for fixes
> or (non-)confirmation.

Assuming you are running bash: is is bash option 'checkwinsize' set?
You can check by running 'shopt -p | checkwin':

[cerdea-aws]cerdea@xango3:/build/buildd/qa-kernel-sru-tests$ shopt -p | grep checkwin
shopt -s checkwinsize
[cerdea-aws]cerdea@xango3:/build/buildd/qa-kernel-sru-tests$

if it is not (the output above states mine is set), then you might see
this behaviour.

Cheers,

..C..

Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 PM
C de-Avillez

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:17:10 -0500
C de-Avillez <hggdh2@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Assuming you are running bash: is is bash option 'checkwinsize' set?
> You can check by running 'shopt -p | checkwin':

OK. Definitely not a day to be at the laptop.

shopt -p | grep checkwin

Now I will go drink some beers.