Old 07-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Wybo Dekker

Default xfce4-xkb-plugin settings lost - solved the blunt way

On 2012-07-19 08:20, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Wybo Dekker <wybo@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> I'm using the xfce4-xkb-plugin, and I like it, except that after some
>> fifty percent of my logins it appears to have lost its settings. My
>> normal settings are:
>>
> Depending on your version, this plugin can crash a lot. What I usually
> do in Xfce 4.6 is that I configure the keyboard via Settings >
> Keyboard > Layout, and when the xkb plugin crashes (again) I simply
> re-add the plugin, access the relevant Settings tab and hit close.
> Then the xkb plugin automatically reconfigures itself. (Or try these
> steps in some other order and it should work.)

that sounds too complicated for every-day use to me. But it made me try
following solution:
1. I made a copy of the correct config file:
cp .config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-26.{rc,ok}
(the 26 may be different value...)
2. I made a bash script:
#!/bin/bash
SCRIPT=/home/wybo/.config/xfce4/panel/xkb-plugin-26
diff $SCRIPT.{ok,rc} >/dev/null || (
echo restoring xkb plugin >> /home/wybo/.startup.log
cp $SCRIPT.{ok,rc}
killall -10 xfce4-xkb-plugin
)
3. I put this line in my crontab, via crontab -e:
* * * * * /home/wybo/bin/check-xkb-plugin
So within a minute after logging in, my plugin will be ok.

--
Wybo