Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 AM
"Franji Mayes"

Default speeding up 7.10 by upgrading to 686 kernel

Radomir, thank you so much for your patience and help!

I ran "fsck" while logged in as root. It said:

fsck 1.40.2...
e2fsck 1.40.2...
/dev/sda1: clean, 102623/694880 files, 494744/1389614 blocks"

Then I ran "fsck -c" and it said

"Checking for bad blocks (read-only test)" and had numbers counting. Then it started displaying a lot of cryptic information, the only lines of which I recognized were several "...Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block...."

Then it said "done". Then

"Pass 1: Checking inodes, blocks and sizes
Pass 2: chekcing directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Pass 4: Checking reference counts

Pass 5: Checking group summary information
Free blocks count wrong for group #23 (25450, counted=25448). Fix?"

I answered "yes" to that question, and 3 more of similar nature. Then it said:

"/dev/sda1: *******FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED******
/dev/sda1: ******* REBOOT LINUX ************
/dev/sda1: 102625/694880 files (0.6% non-contiguous), 494771/1389614 blocks"

I wasn't sure if that meant it's repaired or not, so I again tried "apt-get install linux-686" and received messages about it not being able to write to files. So I ran "mount / -o rw, remount" and the apt-get again, and it displayed a few lines, at the end of which it said "E: Couldn't find package linux-686" I Googled and found "aptitude install linux-686" and ran that; it seemed to do more stuff, but still couldn't find the package.

So I guess the good news is that my system seems to be repaired/working and now I just have to figure out how to get the 686 kernel (assuming that will help my slow performance).

Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:45:36AM -0800:
> > Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 09:12:40PM -0800:
> > > install a kernel for a 686. The documentation said to type "sudo
> > > apt-get install linux-686" from the command line. I was logged in as

> > > root, so I typed the above w/out "sudo". I got a bunch of errors, all
> > > of which contained the text "Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical
> > > block".

> > I don't want to worry you, but these kinds of errors usually mean
> > a hardware failure of the sda1 disk (probably a hard disk in this case).
> >
> > Try booting in the recovery mode and running fsck on that disk, possibly

> > with -c option to check for bad blocks.

> I typed "fsck" *into the command line and hit return, and got the following:
>
> "fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
> e2fsck 1.40.2
(12-Jul-2007)
> /dev/sda1 is mounted.
> WARNING! Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause SEVER filesystem
> damage. Do you want to continue?"

> That sounded scary so I said "no". Should I say "yes" to that question?

Yes, it's normal, forgot to tell you about it. Type 'mount' to make sure
the partition is mounted read-only (it should be in the recovery mode, but
better safe than sorry). If it is not, type:

*mount / -o ro,remount

this should remount it in read-only mode, making sure that the filesystem
is not corrupted during checking. An alternative would be booting from
a livecd, then the system is not mounted, but with your specs this might

be slow. So, make sure it's read only and answer 'yes' to that question.

> If my disk is bad, did I ruin it by changing from Windows to Linux?

That's not possible, it's a physical fault.

> Can
> damage like that be caused by the disk running for too long? (It was on for
> almost a day while I was trying different install methods.)

Only if there is something wrong with cooling or you kept it in posistion

where proper cooling was not possible.

> I didn't have
> too many problems w/ XP on it, but maybe they were there and I didn't know
> about it until now. If the disk is bad, how was Linux able to be installed

> at all?

We are not sure if it's bad. That's the usual reason for these errors, but
there can be other -- that's why you're running a disk check. Also, if
only some parts of the disk are bad, fsck can mark them as such and the

system will just not use them for storing data.

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski <http://sheep.art.pl>
() *ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

/ *<www.asciiribbon.org> - against proprietary attachments

Old 11-28-2007, 01:58 AM
Radomir Dopieralski

Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 06:07:57PM -0800:
> I wasn't sure if that meant it's repaired or not, so I again tried "apt-get
> install linux-686" and received messages about it not being able to write to
> files. So I ran "mount / -o rw, remount" and the apt-get again, and it
> displayed a few lines, at the end of which it said "E: Couldn't find package
> linux-686" I Googled and found "aptitude install linux-686" and ran that; it
> seemed to do more stuff, but still couldn't find the package.
>
> So I guess the good news is that my system seems to be repaired/working and
> now I just have to figure out how to get the 686 kernel (assuming that will
> help my slow performance).

The 686 (and all other kernels) are now merged to a single kernel called
linux-image-generic, so there are only two kernels, -386 and -generic for
the desktop. The -generic kernel will enable all optimisations needed when
it detects a processor that can use them.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Charlie Kravetz

: xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 03:58:59 +0100
Radomir Dopieralski <xubuntu@sheep.art.pl> wrote:

> Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 06:07:57PM -0800:=20
> > I wasn't sure if that meant it's repaired or not, so I again tried
> > "apt-get install linux-686" and received messages about it not
> > being able to write to files. So I ran "mount / -o rw, remount" and
> > the apt-get again, and it displayed a few lines, at the end of
> > which it said "E: Couldn't find package linux-686" I Googled and
> > found "aptitude install linux-686" and ran that; it seemed to do
> > more stuff, but still couldn't find the package.
> >=20
> > So I guess the good news is that my system seems to be
> > repaired/working and now I just have to figure out how to get the
> > 686 kernel (assuming that will help my slow performance).
>=20
>=20
> The 686 (and all other kernels) are now merged to a single kernel
> called linux-image-generic, so there are only two kernels, -386 and
> -generic for the desktop. The -generic kernel will enable all
> optimisations needed when it detects a processor that can use them.
>=20

Also, an easy way to install the new package or any other in xubuntu
would be to use Synaptic Package Manager. If you are at the desktop, go
to Applications -> System -> Synaptic Package Manager and install the
package from there. If you set Preferences in Synaptic for =C2=A8consider
recommended packages as dependencies=C2=A8, it will take care of all needed
dependencies, too.

Good luck,

--
Charlie Kravetz