Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Joshua O'Leary

Default harddisk failure, or Xubuntu refuses to load

On 17/07/12 21:58, Liviu Andronic wrote:

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:32 PM, Joshua O'Leary
<joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

Not sure exactly, perhaps 'enhanced' uses advanced features, causing it to
read/write the hard disk more.

I went ahead and passed all my partitions through:
e2fsck -c /dev/sda#

and 'badblocks' found several damaged sectors on '/dev/sda6'.
Subsequently I switched back the BIOS settings from 'compatible' to
'enhanced' and the kernel booted up as expected. No issues so far.

Here are the bad sectors identified and masked:
root@liv-laptop:/home/liv# dumpe2fs -b /dev/sda6
dumpe2fs 1.41.11 (14-Mar-2010)
1632184
3159944
3159945
3159946
3159947
3159948
3159949
3164995
3164996
3164997
3164998

The only trouble is that the SMART short self-test fails with the same
read error, at a different sector. I guess I'll try to run the fs
check with 'badblocks' again.

Regards
Liviu

That explains why windows wasn't affected by the problem, since it
cannot read (ext2/3/4) filesystems without configuration and drivers