-   -   ATI Binary Driver problem (was: Xscreensaver oddity) (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/683628-ati-binary-driver-problem-xscreensaver-oddity.html)

Pete Flugstad 07-14-2012 03:38 PM

Pete Flugstad <pete.flugstad@...> writes:
> OK - time to figure out if the open source driver is functional.

So - I installed the xorg-edgers/ppa
(https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa) and made sure
I installed the -ati driver (xserver-xorg-video-ati).

Note that the -ati driver seems to just be a wrapper around the
radeon driver (xserver-xorg-video-radeon), but if I installed
*just* the radeon driver, Xorg would not find it and it'd fall
back to vesa again. Once I did that, I didn't need a
/etc/X11/xorg.conf at all - Xorg just auto-configured itself.

So - this seems to have fixed my problems. Xscreensaver comes up
every time, I can switch sessions with no trouble, etc. No
lockups with multiple users and the screen saver seems to get
disabled properly. So far anyway.

Performance wise, I don't see any difference. I don't do
heavy-duty gaming, so I probably wouldn't.

I don't know if I actually need the xorg edgers ppa or not,
but it's there now and it works, so I'm disinclined to mess
with it.

dpg-query for ati/radon:

libdrm-radeon1 2.4.37+git20120713.992e2afd-0
Userspace interface to radeon-specific kernel DRM services
xserver-xorg-video-radeon 1:6.99.99+git20120711.ef8a404
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI Radeon display driver
xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.99.99+git20120711.ef8a404
X.Org X server -- AMD/ATI display driver wrapper

That'll teach me to try and mess with proprietary drivers...

Pete