Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
James Freer

Default Vim in Xubuntu

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Alok <quantamcore@gmail.com> wrote:
> E-macs all the way. But why try killing a fly with bazooka? If all you want
> is a light-wordprocessor, why not abiword??
>

> On 12 June 2012 22:07, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > WARNING: sharp learning curve ahead.
>> >
>> > Nice destination, though.
>> >

>> Only once you install a decent text editor plugin for it, though.
>>
>> --
>> Dotan Cohen

Thanks folks for your replies. Sorry not for getting back earlier but
i've had some domestic problems to sort out. Perhaps i didn't make it
absolutely clear what i was asking.

When i say wordwrap [linewrap/softwrap] or whatever the term what i mean is:

in gvim: Edit--File settings--Toggle wrap at word (:set lbr!)
in emacs: Options--Line wrapping in this buffer--Word wrap (visual line mode)

In these apps when one saves, the text file is saved in continuous
line mode although displayed line wrapped/line breaked. This is what
gedit/leafpad/bluefish do. For some reason i prefer the console editor
for choice and as i use Alpine for mail would have liked to stay with
Pico. But Pico, Joe and any other console editor i've tried don't do
this - when they line wrap they put a break at the end of each line.
So one has to go through and remove these if one for the next step is
going to use a Abiword or Scribus. For writing it is a great advantage
to just use a text editor to compose text and then transfer.

So i wanted to use a console editor as it would fit in with Alpine as
i have a lot of mail. After spending some time experimenting emacs
does seem the way to go. Its flyspell, and screen shifting when one
gets to the bottom is a joy just like Pico's was.

In emacs the only thing i can't do is sort out this 'edit server' for
use in Alpine. When replying to emails i understand that because emacs
is a large app... one can have emacs open but when the 'alternate
editor is invoked in Alpine [Section 31.4 P378 in Emacs.pdf] it would
have to open each time. With the 'edit server' it "listens" for
external commands and then opens a buffer. I have looked at Emacs'
mail clients Rmail (little info for setup), Gnus (i'm still reading
the info!), Wanderlust (about to give it a try) - emacs guides are a
'bit heavy' for easy setup.

james