-   -   Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/681129-password-keyring-doesnt-get-unlocked-upon-login.html)

"Scott Moore" 07-07-2012 11:10 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

This is driving me nuts. I’ve googled and posted on ubuntuforums and STILL
can’t find an answer to this seemingly common problem. Someone suggested
installing seahorse and that didn’t do a bit of good. This pop-up shows up about
15-20 minutes after boot-up. If I’m in the middle of playing OpenArena, it pops
up, my OpenArena screen is resized and pushed off to the side, and this thing
demands my password (same password I used to log in). Of course, as I’m busy
trying to pacify the pop-up, my player gets killed.
*
It happens on two different machines, both running Xubuntu 12.04. Can
someone please tell me how to fix this??
*
Scott

Ged Byrom 07-08-2012 08:35 AM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

Hi Scott,I've recently used the first part of this but deleted the complete folder not just the .keyring files.http://askubuntu.com/questions/78344/how-to-completely-reset-erase-the-keyring

The second part seems to have something missing so beware.My keyring folder has been repopulated but I have been asked for all my passwords for wireless, ebay, email, etc.I haven't been asked for the login keyring password yet.
Have a look or better still let others remark on it.There are a few posts which mention the same sort of thing. Including the one which said delete the keyrings folder not just the .keyring files.*

hope this helpsGed

*

Jody Allen 07-08-2012 12:27 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

This is driving me nuts. I’ve googled and posted on ubuntuforums and STILL
can’t find an answer to this seemingly common problem. Someone suggested
installing seahorse and that didn’t do a bit of good. This pop-up shows up about
15-20 minutes after boot-up. If I’m in the middle of playing OpenArena, it pops
up, my OpenArena screen is resized and pushed off to the side, and this thing
demands my password (same password I used to log in). Of course, as I’m busy
trying to pacify the pop-up, my player gets killed.
*
It happens on two different machines, both running Xubuntu 12.04. Can
someone please tell me how to fix this??
*
Scott
I had the same problem and this worked for me:
http://laslow.net/2012/05/06/gnome-keyring-issues-in-ubuntu-12-04/

Turns out, a package upgrade (I was too lazy to identify which one) changed/reverted /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop and caused gnome-keyring-daemon to not load properly with XFCE. The fix was to find this line:

_OnlyShowIn_=GNOME;Unity

And append ;XFCE to it, making it:

_OnlyShowIn_=GNOME;Unity;XFCE

After a quick reboot everything worked as normal.--
xubuntu-users mailing list
xubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Joshua O'Leary 07-08-2012 04:27 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:23:08 -0004
Jody Allen <jodyballen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Scott Moore <scottbomb@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This is driving me nuts. I’ve googled and posted on ubuntuforums and STILL can’t find an answer to this seemingly common problem. Someone suggested installing seahorse and that didn’t do a bit of good. This pop-up shows up about 15-20 minutes after boot-up. If I’m in the middle of playing OpenArena, it pops up, my OpenArena screen is resized and pushed off to the side, and this thing demands my password (same password I used to log in). Of course, as I’m busy trying to pacify the pop-up, my player gets killed.
> *
> It happens on two different machines, both running Xubuntu 12.04. Can someone please tell me how to fix this??
> *
> Scott
> I had the same problem and this worked for me:
>
> http://laslow.net/2012/05/06/gnome-keyring-issues-in-ubuntu-12-04/
>
> Turns out, a package upgrade (I was too lazy to identify which one) changed/reverted /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop and caused gnome-keyring-daemon to not load properly with XFCE. The fix was to find this line:
>
> OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity
>
> And append ;XFCE to it, making it:
>
> OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;XFCE
>
> After a quick reboot everything worked as normal.

Thanks for the fix, this bug affects a number of programs that use gnome-keyring, including chromium / google chrome.

The package at fault here is gnome-keyring:

dpkg -S gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
gnome-keyring: /usr/share/gnome/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop

Time to file a bug...

Joshua

Joshua O'Leary 07-08-2012 04:38 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 17:27:59 +0100
Joshua O'Leary <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 12:23:08 -0004
> Jody Allen <jodyballen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Scott Moore <scottbomb@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > This is driving me nuts. I’ve googled and posted on ubuntuforums and STILL can’t find an answer to this seemingly common problem. Someone suggested installing seahorse and that didn’t do a bit of good. This pop-up shows up about 15-20 minutes after boot-up. If I’m in the middle of playing OpenArena, it pops up, my OpenArena screen is resized and pushed off to the side, and this thing demands my password (same password I used to log in). Of course, as I’m busy trying to pacify the pop-up, my player gets killed.
> > *
> > It happens on two different machines, both running Xubuntu 12.04. Can someone please tell me how to fix this??
> > *
> > Scott
> > I had the same problem and this worked for me:
> >
> > http://laslow.net/2012/05/06/gnome-keyring-issues-in-ubuntu-12-04/
> >
> > Turns out, a package upgrade (I was too lazy to identify which one) changed/reverted /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop and caused gnome-keyring-daemon to not load properly with XFCE. The fix was to find this line:
> >
> > OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity
> >
> > And append ;XFCE to it, making it:
> >
> > OnlyShowIn=GNOME;Unity;XFCE
> >
> > After a quick reboot everything worked as normal.
>
> Thanks for the fix, this bug affects a number of programs that use gnome-keyring, including chromium / google chrome.
>
> The package at fault here is gnome-keyring:
>
> dpkg -S gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
> gnome-keyring: /usr/share/gnome/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
>
> Time to file a bug...
>
> Joshua

Sorry that command was run on a Debian machine, the proper output on xbuntu is
gnome-keyring: /etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop

I have reported a bug on Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-keyring/+bug/1022322

Please mark it as affecting you if you experience this issue.

Thanks,
Joshua

Ged Byrom 07-08-2012 09:51 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

* *The fix was to find this line:

_OnlyShowIn_=GNOME;Unity

And append ;XFCE to it, making it:

_OnlyShowIn_=GNOME;Unity;XFCE

After a quick reboot everything worked as normal.

*I have just used this method on my sons netbook and it worked.I used the delete keyrings folder method on my own netbook which is completely different. Is it likely to have damaged my system or made it less secure ?*
regards ged

Joshua O'Leary 07-12-2012 04:54 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

After a quick reboot everything worked as normal.

*I have just used this method on my sons netbook and it
worked.
I used the delete keyrings folder method on my own netbook
which is completely different. Is it likely to have damaged my
system or made it less secure ?*
regards ged

It shouldn't affect security, as keyrings are recreated at next
login if you delete them in Ubuntu 12.04. Deleting any files in your
home folder is not going to damage the system as a whole, and would
only cause loss of your own data. Also, if you have a launchpad
account please could you mark this as affecting you. (

Scott Moore 07-14-2012 04:56 PM

Password keyring doesn't get unlocked upon login

The suggestion to delete the keyrings folder in .gnome worked for me. When I connected to a network share, I did get a pop-up asking me for a keyring password but I left it blank (as I believe is also suggested). I guess that's the fix as it's no longer pestering me.

*

Thanks!