Old 07-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Jack

Default Another problem.

Long story short. Had Ubuntu 9.04 for
years. Month ago my old, reliable Bother laser printer crashed,
bought a new Brother which could not connect with my computer.
Downloaded the correct Brother drivers but could not get it to connect. Brought in a computer repair guy (claimed to have a masters degree in
computer tech) who worked for 2 hours, upgraded Ubuntu to 11.10 but
could not get the printer connection.

Told him also of another problem of
about 2 years. 2 of 3 times I would boot my machine I would see all
the usual visual things on my monitor in the boot process, but the
screen would then turn black and I would not see the log in screen.
The little red light on the face of the computer box had flashed as normal,
indicating it was booting up but all I got was a black screen – no
usual desktop log in screen. 1 of 3 times it would boot normally. He took it into his shop.

Saved all my docs, took the computer to
his shop, he wiped the hard drive installed Xubuntu, put all the docs
back. Printer works now, but the boot problem still exists. Except
now it takes an average of 7 boot/turn off sequences to finally get a
log in screen and a working computer. All I get from him now is a
blank look.

Any ideas???

Thanks.

JJ

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Joshua O'Leary

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:35:25 -0500
Jack <arkiedriver@gmail.com> wrote:

> Long story short. Had Ubuntu 9.04 for years. Month ago my old, reliable
> Bother laser printer crashed, bought a new Brother which could not connect
> with my computer. Downloaded the correct Brother drivers but could not get
> it to connect. Brought in a computer repair guy (claimed to have a masters
> degree in computer tech) who worked for 2 hours, upgraded Ubuntu to 11.10
> but could not get the printer connection.
>

> Told him also of another problem of about 2 years. 2 of 3 times I would
> boot my machine I would see all the usual visual things on my monitor in
> the boot process, but the screen would then turn black and I would not see
> the log in screen. The little red light on the face of the computer box had
> flashed as normal, indicating it was booting up but all I got was a black
> screen – no usual desktop log in screen. 1 of 3 times it would boot
> normally. He took it into his shop.
>
> Saved all my docs, took the computer to his shop, he wiped the hard drive
> installed Xubuntu, put all the docs back. Printer works now, but the boot
> problem still exists. Except now it takes an average of 7 boot/turn off
> sequences to finally get a log in screen and a working computer. All I get
> from him now is a blank look.
>
> Any ideas???
>
> Thanks.
>
> JJ

What hardware do you have? It would be helpful if you could provide more details, please give the output of
sudo lspci -v
assuming it is some kind of compatibility issue.
Also, does the computer completely freeze when this happens (kernel panic) ? Can you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 to change to a TTY for instance. Do the SysRq (key on print screen) shortcuts work (hold down Alt and Sysrq, then press and release the following: R E I S U B). If the system reboots, the freeze can't be too severe.

You could also try booting with different options (entered by pressing 'e' on grub) - you could try adding 'text' after 'quiet splash', to see if text mode boots ok. Adding 'acpi=off' may also be an option to disable power management.

Do you have any proprietary graphics drivers (e.g. NVIDIA/ATI) - these may be a possible cause also.

Hope we can sort this issue out
Joshua

Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Joshua O'Leary

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 22:02:40 +0100
Joshua O'Leary <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 13:35:25 -0500
> Jack <arkiedriver@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Long story short. Had Ubuntu 9.04 for years. Month ago my old, reliable
> > Bother laser printer crashed, bought a new Brother which could not connect
> > with my computer. Downloaded the correct Brother drivers but could not get
> > it to connect. Brought in a computer repair guy (claimed to have a masters
> > degree in computer tech) who worked for 2 hours, upgraded Ubuntu to 11.10
> > but could not get the printer connection.
> >

> > Told him also of another problem of about 2 years. 2 of 3 times I would
> > boot my machine I would see all the usual visual things on my monitor in
> > the boot process, but the screen would then turn black and I would not see
> > the log in screen. The little red light on the face of the computer box had
> > flashed as normal, indicating it was booting up but all I got was a black
> > screen – no usual desktop log in screen. 1 of 3 times it would boot
> > normally. He took it into his shop.
> >
> > Saved all my docs, took the computer to his shop, he wiped the hard drive
> > installed Xubuntu, put all the docs back. Printer works now, but the boot
> > problem still exists. Except now it takes an average of 7 boot/turn off
> > sequences to finally get a log in screen and a working computer. All I get
> > from him now is a blank look.
> >
> > Any ideas???
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > JJ
>
> What hardware do you have? It would be helpful if you could provide more details, please give the output of
> sudo lspci -v
> assuming it is some kind of compatibility issue.
> Also, does the computer completely freeze when this happens (kernel panic) ? Can you do Ctrl+Alt+F1 to change to a TTY for instance. Do the SysRq (key on print screen) shortcuts work (hold down Alt and Sysrq, then press and release the following: R E I S U B). If the system reboots, the freeze can't be too severe.
>
> You could also try booting with different options (entered by pressing 'e' on grub) - you could try adding 'text' after 'quiet splash', to see if text mode boots ok. Adding 'acpi=off' may also be an option to disable power management.
>
> Do you have any proprietary graphics drivers (e.g. NVIDIA/ATI) - these may be a possible cause also.
>
> Hope we can sort this issue out
> Joshua

This may also be useful in terms of SysRq keys:
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/12/safe-reboot-of-linux-using-magic-sysrq-key/