-   -   Need to Update Abiword 2.9.2 for Xubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/680576-need-update-abiword-2-9-2-xubuntu.html)

Lee Gold 07-06-2012 12:31 AM

Need to Update Abiword 2.9.2 for Xubuntu

Hi,

12.04 uses Abiword 2.9.2

This is confirmed as a problematic developmental release on the Abiword
mail list...it's gnarly and doesn't work. Considering the fact that
Abiword is the default word processor for Xubuntu I'm not sure why it's
still the current version in the repositories...at least it was there
the last time I checked.

Can it be updated in the repositories please?

Thanks

Pasi Lallinaho 07-06-2012 07:53 PM

On 07/06/2012 03:31 AM, Lee Gold wrote:
> 12.04 uses Abiword 2.9.2
>
> This is confirmed as a problematic developmental release on the Abiword
> mail list...it's gnarly and doesn't work. Considering the fact that
> Abiword is the default word processor for Xubuntu I'm not sure why it's
> still the current version in the repositories...at least it was there
> the last time I checked.
>
> Can it be updated in the repositories please?
>
> Thanks

(Forwarding this mail to xubuntu-devel, which is the appropriate place.)

SRU's [1] can be done per-bug basis, but somebody will first need to
point out which bugs are critical to fix. Before this, there will be no
updates for Abiword.

Cheers,
Pasi

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

--
Pasi Lallinaho (knome) ╗ http://open.knome.fi/
Leader of Shimmer Project and Xubuntu ╗ http://shimmerproject.org/

Micah Gersten 07-06-2012 08:15 PM

On 07/06/2012 02:53 PM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 03:31 AM, Lee Gold wrote:
>> 12.04 uses Abiword 2.9.2
>>
>> This is confirmed as a problematic developmental release on the Abiword
>> mail list...it's gnarly and doesn't work. Considering the fact that
>> Abiword is the default word processor for Xubuntu I'm not sure why it's
>> still the current version in the repositories...at least it was there
>> the last time I checked.
>>
>> Can it be updated in the repositories please?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
> (Forwarding this mail to xubuntu-devel, which is the appropriate place.)
>
> SRU's [1] can be done per-bug basis, but somebody will first need to
> point out which bugs are critical to fix. Before this, there will be no
> updates for Abiword.
>
> Cheers,
> Pasi
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

I brought up the issue of having a development release in the LTS and
people said that if we got negative feedback, we can revert before
release. Unfortunately, now we are stuck with this version. If there
are bugs, we can SRU them. If version 3.0 ever hits the repositories,
as there are minimal reverse dependencies, we can backport it.
Thanks,
Micah

Pasi Lallinaho 07-06-2012 08:43 PM

On 07/06/2012 11:15 PM, Micah Gersten wrote:
> On 07/06/2012 02:53 PM, Pasi Lallinaho wrote:
>> On 07/06/2012 03:31 AM, Lee Gold wrote:
>>> 12.04 uses Abiword 2.9.2
>>>
>>> This is confirmed as a problematic developmental release on the Abiword
>>> mail list...it's gnarly and doesn't work. Considering the fact that
>>> Abiword is the default word processor for Xubuntu I'm not sure why it's
>>> still the current version in the repositories...at least it was there
>>> the last time I checked.
>>>
>>> Can it be updated in the repositories please?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>> (Forwarding this mail to xubuntu-devel, which is the appropriate place.)
>>
>> SRU's [1] can be done per-bug basis, but somebody will first need to
>> point out which bugs are critical to fix. Before this, there will be no
>> updates for Abiword.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Pasi
>>
>> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
>>
> I brought up the issue of having a development release in the LTS and
> people said that if we got negative feedback, we can revert before
> release. Unfortunately, now we are stuck with this version. If there
> are bugs, we can SRU them. If version 3.0 ever hits the repositories,
> as there are minimal reverse dependencies, we can backport it.
> Thanks,
> Micah

When testing the 12.04, no regressions were reported really, so there
shouldn't be anything too critical. Bugs exists anyway though, so there
will be some...

Pasi

Lee Gold 07-06-2012 08:52 PM

Need to Update Abiword 2.9.2 for Xubuntu

Hi,

I'm sorry I guess I don't understand,

Either go back to 2.8.6 or go up to 2.9.3. I assume an important app
like the default word processor version is tested before including it(?)
But I don't know what's entailed in doing it. I'm just saying I don't
have a stable default word processor in 12.04. Maybe there are other
factors involved, I imagine dependencies can be complicated...

Abiword 2.9.2 is broken. I've mentioned this on the Abiword mail list
and they point out 2.9.2 is a developmental release - not for "public"
use.

No biggie, I'll use something else in the meantime for .doc files and
the like...

Thanks

http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...

Lee Gold 07-06-2012 08:52 PM

Pasi Lallinaho 07-06-2012 09:01 PM

On 07/06/2012 11:52 PM, Lee Gold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry I guess I don't understand,
>
> Either go back to 2.8.6 or go up to 2.9.3. I assume an important app
> like the default word processor version is tested before including it(?)
> But I don't know what's entailed in doing it. I'm just saying I don't
> have a stable default word processor in 12.04. Maybe there are other
> factors involved, I imagine dependencies can be complicated...
>
> Abiword 2.9.2 is broken. I've mentioned this on the Abiword mail list
> and they point out 2.9.2 is a developmental release - not for "public"
> use.
>
> No biggie, I'll use something else in the meantime for .doc files and
> the like...

To be more exact,

1) While testing 12.04 (including Abiword), no critical bugs about
Abiword were reported
2) Downgrading to another Abiword release in a released Xubuntu version
is not possible; upgrading to 3.0 is possible via backports, if that
hits the repositories.
3) We can fix single bugs with SRU's, as long as somebody points us to
the bugs that are affecting the Abiword release in 12.04

Pasi

Simon Steinbei▀ 07-06-2012 09:03 PM

Need to Update Abiword 2.9.2 for Xubuntu

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:43:52 +0300
Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:

> When testing the 12.04, no regressions were reported really, so there
> shouldn't be anything too critical. Bugs exists anyway though, so there
> will be some...
>
> Pasi

Personally I consider it really bad that we shipped a (random) snapshot of Abiword. (I know it wasn't decidedly the fault of the Xubuntu team, but we should've maybe started shouting earlier and louder.) The visual glitches that couldn't be sorted (LP: #948128) are quite obvious and in my opinion also critical, because they suggest that the software isn't reliable if it looks so bad.

I think we should strive to ship a more solid version in 12.10, since 3.0 most likely won't be released in time (and anyway, it doesn't mean bugs like above are fixed!), I'd suggest going back to the stable 2.8 version. Lionel tested that recently and it seems to work without many changes (mostly dropping a lib).

- Simon

Pasi Lallinaho 07-06-2012 09:20 PM

On 07/07/2012 12:03 AM, Simon Steinbei├č wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:43:52 +0300
> Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
>
>> When testing the 12.04, no regressions were reported really, so there
>> shouldn't be anything too critical. Bugs exists anyway though, so there
>> will be some...
>>
>> Pasi
> Personally I consider it really bad that we shipped a (random) snapshot of Abiword. (I know it wasn't decidedly the fault of the Xubuntu team, but we should've maybe started shouting earlier and louder.) The visual glitches that couldn't be sorted (LP: #948128) are quite obvious and in my opinion also critical, because they suggest that the software isn't reliable if it looks so bad.

While I agree that these visual bugs shouldn't have passed through, I'm
not sure if they are really critical ÔÇô and even if they were considered
such, I don't see how that would create a "broken" Abiword.

> I think we should strive to ship a more solid version in 12.10, since 3.0 most likely won't be released in time (and anyway, it doesn't mean bugs like above are fixed!), I'd suggest going back to the stable 2.8 version. Lionel tested that recently and it seems to work without many changes (mostly dropping a lib).

Sounds like a plan.

> - Simon

Cheers,
Pasi

Micah Gersten 07-06-2012 09:22 PM

On 07/06/2012 04:03 PM, Simon Steinbei▀ wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 23:43:52 +0300
> Pasi Lallinaho <pasi@shimmerproject.org> wrote:
>
>> When testing the 12.04, no regressions were reported really, so there
>> shouldn't be anything too critical. Bugs exists anyway though, so there
>> will be some...
>>
>> Pasi
> Personally I consider it really bad that we shipped a (random) snapshot of Abiword. (I know it wasn't decidedly the fault of the Xubuntu team, but we should've maybe started shouting earlier and louder.) The visual glitches that couldn't be sorted (LP: #948128) are quite obvious and in my opinion also critical, because they suggest that the software isn't reliable if it looks so bad.
>
> I think we should strive to ship a more solid version in 12.10, since 3.0 most likely won't be released in time (and anyway, it doesn't mean bugs like above are fixed!), I'd suggest going back to the stable 2.8 version. Lionel tested that recently and it seems to work without many changes (mostly dropping a lib).
>
> - Simon

I shouted very early and very loudly :) No one brought any of the
critical bugs up throughout the LTS cycle AFAIK. I don't see reverting
in quantal as an option either as that would impact the other pieces in
the archive as well. I think we're committed to the snapshots at this
point. If there's no ABI breakage, we can try for a provisional MRE [1]
due to extenuating circumstances.

Thanks,
Micah

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates/MicroReleaseExceptions