Old 07-03-2012, 04:13 AM
Ric Moore

Default Printer Epson LX300 - is it possible to use A4 paper in Linux?

On 07/02/2012 09:35 PM, theuteck@gmail.com wrote:

On Monday, July 02, 2012 10:56:30 PM James Freer wrote:

My Inkjet cartridge has decided to die on me this evening just as i
desperately need to print out some letters for posting tomorrow.

I do have a spare printer, an Epson LX300 for tractor paper which also
has an A4 feeder but i've never been able to get it to print. Seems
linux doesn't have the drivers for A4. [Wish i hadn't junked my old
windows machine now].

Anyone 'know' printers and able to advise.

thanks
james

I have seen A4 paper size as an option for just about every printer I have
used, so I am not sure why you cannot see it unless you are useing the wrong
driver.
According to the Open Printing website the LX-300 has not been added to the
database. http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-LX-300
But the LX-300+ is, http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-
LX-300plus. Which do you have? The 300+ is listed as working fine with the
ibmpro driver, so you could try that on the 300.

Here are instruction for adding the printer along with the PPD file for it.
http://free-linux-trick.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-install-printer-driver-
epson-lx.html But I am too sure about the site were the file is hosted.

If you do want a new printer, HP has good open source support and they release
drivers for their newest printers when they ship.

They DO have good Linux support. Their CUSTOMER and product support
reeks. I pledged HP that I would speak ill of them and their products,
when ever I got the chance. So, ...just so you know. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-03-2012, 05:54 AM
chris

> > Here are instruction for adding the printer along with the PPD file for it.
> > http://free-linux-trick.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-install-printer-driver-
> > epson-lx.html But I am too sure about the site were the file is hosted.
> >
> > If you do want a new printer, HP has good open source support and they release
> > drivers for their newest printers when they ship.
>
> They DO have good Linux support. Their CUSTOMER and product support
> reeks. I pledged HP that I would speak ill of them and their products,
> when ever I got the chance. So, ...just so you know. Ric
Interesting, I wonder if this is a National thing as in Nations. I
have had absolutely superb support from HP over many years, with never a
complaint.

There again, NZ has draconian consumer laws................

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 AM
"Peter Frenning [OZ1PIF]"

Den 02-07-2012 23:56, James Freer
skrev:

My Inkjet cartridge has decided to die on me this evening just as i
desperately need to print out some letters for posting tomorrow.

I do have a spare printer, an Epson LX300 for tractor paper which also
has an A4 feeder but i've never been able to get it to print. Seems
linux doesn't have the drivers for A4. [Wish i hadn't junked my old
windows machine now].

Anyone 'know' printers and able to advise.

thanks
james

Should be no problem, the Epson SX218 at this QTH
handles A4 perfectly, and I assume that the epson SW-writers would
know enough about the world and its varying standards to make all
their SW to be universal.

--
Vy 73 de OZ1PIF/5Q2M, Peter

** Genius is one per cent inspiration, **
** and ninety-nine per cent **
** perspiration. **
** -- Thomas A. Edison **
email: peter(no-spam filler)@frenning.dk
http://www.frenning.dk/oz1pif.htm
Ph. +45 4619 3239
Snailmail:
Peter Frenning
Ternevej 23
DK-4130 Viby Sj.
Denmark

Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 AM
Ric Moore

On 07/03/2012 01:54 AM, chris wrote:

Here are instruction for adding the printer along with the PPD file for it.
http://free-linux-trick.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-install-printer-driver-
epson-lx.html But I am too sure about the site were the file is hosted.

If you do want a new printer, HP has good open source support and they release
drivers for their newest printers when they ship.

They DO have good Linux support. Their CUSTOMER and product support
reeks. I pledged HP that I would speak ill of them and their products,
when ever I got the chance. So, ...just so you know. Ric

Interesting, I wonder if this is a National thing as in Nations. I
have had absolutely superb support from HP over many years, with never a
complaint.

There again, NZ has draconian consumer laws................

I was told I should have spent more money for my printer if I expected
it to last more than a year. That fried my bacon. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
chris

On Tue, 2012-07-03 at 03:22 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> They DO have good Linux support. Their CUSTOMER and product support
> >> reeks. I pledged HP that I would speak ill of them and their products,
> >> when ever I got the chance. So, ...just so you know. Ric
> > Interesting, I wonder if this is a National thing as in Nations. I
> > have had absolutely superb support from HP over many years, with never a
> > complaint.
> >
> > There again, NZ has draconian consumer laws................
>
> I was told I should have spent more money for my printer if I expected
> it to last more than a year. That fried my bacon. Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

I guess it would.
think I'll stay at the bottom of the world.
:-)

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Ralph

On 07/03/2012 01:22 AM, Ric Moore
wrote:

[...]

I gave up on HP because of the high ink prices- bought a Brothers
440CN for just about $70 -- been working like a good champ for 4 or
5 years. NO Problems and ink is way way cheaper -- 4 of each
cartridge X 4 different cartridges

(16 total) off the internet for 10 bucks plus shipping - lasts me a
full year.* HP can go suck pond scum.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Ric Moore

On 07/03/2012 02:12 PM, Ralph wrote:

[...]

I know all of this is OT, but THANKS!!! I used to be able to print
several cartons of fan-fold paper on one ink ribbon on with either my
Teletype 43 or my Spinwriter 5525.

http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102633569

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 07-06-2012, 09:12 PM
James Freer

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:35 AM, <theuteck@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 02, 2012 10:56:30 PM James Freer wrote:
>> My Inkjet cartridge has decided to die on me this evening just as i
>> desperately need to print out some letters for posting tomorrow.
>>
>> I do have a spare printer, an Epson LX300 for tractor paper which also
>> has an A4 feeder but i've never been able to get it to print. Seems
>> linux doesn't have the drivers for A4. [Wish i hadn't junked my old
>> windows machine now].
>>
>> Anyone 'know' printers and able to advise.
>>
>> thanks
>> james
>
> I have seen A4 paper size as an option for just about every printer I have
> used, so I am not sure why you cannot see it unless you are useing the wrong
> driver.
> According to the Open Printing website the LX-300 has not been added to the
> database. http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-LX-300
> But the LX-300+ is, http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-
> LX-300plus. Which do you have? The 300+ is listed as working fine with the
> ibmpro driver, so you could try that on the 300.
>
> Here are instruction for adding the printer along with the PPD file for it.
> http://free-linux-trick.blogspot.com/2009/06/how-to-install-printer-driver-
> epson-lx.html But I am too sure about the site were the file is hosted.
>
> If you do want a new printer, HP has good open source support and they release
> drivers for their newest printers when they ship.

Thanks folks for your replies. I've always managed to set printers up
without trouble in the past. When i used windows (win 98 2nd edition
in my case... that long ago) one just selected the model number.

In xubuntu it lists things a bit differently which is why i was
unsure. It does a generic 9 pin and 24 pin which work but only for
tractor paper and only in the dot characters ratehr than the extra
making a full letter form. It lists Epson LQ 570+ which is the same
driver [at least it is in windows]. But this is the LX300 not the LX
300+ or the model after that.

Having now spent some time experimenting i found the following.
- the driver in the link you gave worked fine but he confuses things
[to me!] as after selecting from the database he then downloads
another ppd. As i understand it one has two choices a] select the
printer from the database b] select the PPD from one's hard drive
which one has downloaded. He seems to do both.
- the strange thing is that the driver which is an ESC/P driver (i
know this from windows) is in the database but in two different places
same PPD file.
In the New printer window one can choose between Generic where the
ESC/P drivers are listed, and under Epson--Dot matrix. [The
.....foomatic/epsonC and ......foomatic/epson don't seem to work]

Does seem a bit odd and not really logical - but i've got her working!
I decided to start using a dot matrix again as i've got several unused
ribbons and don't do much printing. I really have got fed up with
inkjet cartridges; I've had a Deskjet 400 which worked for about 10
years and had one cartridge filled about 20 times [excellent
printer!], and then used a HP PSC 500 which was expensive on
cartridges as there was colour and black.

thanks
james