-   -   Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/xubuntu-user/678613-xubuntu-freezes-how-config-old-pc.html)

Lee Gold 06-29-2012 08:08 PM

Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ?

Using Xubuntu 11.10.

When using Firefox loading pages and other apps open as well the system
will begin to slow then freeze. Nothing I do other than a hard reboot
w/button com PC case will help.

I expect that system will slow but don't expect it to freeze. Isn't
there a page/swap file that takes over when memory overwhelmed?

Using p4 w/512m ram, not a new system...

Is there anything I can config? Can I config apps to absolutely release
memory when they are closed?

Thanks.

TOM TOM 06-29-2012 08:11 PM

Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ?

When using Firefox loading pages and other apps open as well the system

will begin to slow then freeze. Nothing I do other than a hard reboot

w/button com PC case will help.

I expect that system will slow but don't expect it to freeze. Isn't

there a page/swap file that takes over when memory overwhelmed?

Using p4 w/512m ram, not a new system...

Is there anything I can config? Can I config apps to absolutely release

memory when they are closed?

Thanks.

Hi. It's possible that you're running out of free space in your hard drive, so check that first.

Bruno Benitez 06-29-2012 09:20 PM

Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ?

When using Firefox loading pages and other apps open as well the system

will begin to slow then freeze. Nothing I do other than a hard reboot

w/button com PC case will help.

I expect that system will slow but don't expect it to freeze. Isn't

there a page/swap file that takes over when memory overwhelmed?

Using p4 w/512m ram, not a new system...

Is there anything I can config? Can I config apps to absolutely release

memory when they are closed?

Thanks.

Lee, are you using FireFox 13?

If you are there is a known bug that affects drag and drop events on it, you dont need to hard reboot for that, just Alt-Q and close the firefox window.

If its not please provide more details. :)
--
Bruno.-

Ric Moore 07-01-2012 02:27 AM

Xubuntu Freezes, how config for old PC ?

When using Firefox loading pages and other apps open as well the system
will begin to slow then freeze. Nothing I do other than a hard reboot
w/button com PC case will help.

I expect that system will slow but don't expect it to freeze. Isn't
there a page/swap file that takes over when memory overwhelmed?

Using p4 w/512m ram, not a new system...

Is there anything I can config? Can I config apps to absolutely release
memory when they are closed?
I think the latest FF release is a pig. No, it's a hawg. I have stopped
using it and started using chrome. FF was taking forever to load a page
and it got slower and slower and finally quit. I didn't think to run top
on it. I'd close it and run Chrome, all was well. I like FF when it
behaves. The version 13 they just updated us to is not one of their best
efforts... if it walks like a pig.... it might be a pig. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html