Old 06-28-2012, 06:52 AM
MR ZenWiz

Default Video players all show black screen

Has anyone seen this? My mplayer is showing nothing but black in the
video of a video playback - AVIs, MP4s and WMVs fail, but MPGs, MOVs
and FLVs are fine. Also, my VLC also shows black for DVD ICOs and
pretty much everything except a few that play really jrekily and in a
tiny fragment of the window.

I have no idea what happened - mplayer failed between two plays of the
same video - the first play worked and the second one was blank.

???

MR

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone seen this? *My mplayer is showing nothing but black in the
> video of a video playback - AVIs, MP4s and WMVs fail, but MPGs, MOVs
> and FLVs are fine. *Also, my VLC also shows black for DVD ICOs and
> pretty much everything except a few that play really jrekily and in a
> tiny fragment of the window.
>
> I have no idea what happened - mplayer failed between two plays of the
> same video - the first play worked and the second one was blank.

I poked around and reinstalled all the codecs that were on the
machine. I did libavcodec53 first, and that seems to have solved the
"play a video in its native sized window" problem, but if I go full
screen, the video freezes on the last small frame and the rest of the
screen stays black.

Same problem persists after I reinstalled all the codecs, and mplayer,
too. VLC still has the same problems.

I haven't tried rebooting, but I feel I shouldn't have to....

Old 06-28-2012, 07:52 AM
Ric Moore

[...]

Didn't you know we're keeping up with Win3.1 "Please Reboot"?
"The Blue Screen of Death" is in beta on a ppa for 12.10. We'll corner
the MS market yet. <swears> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Joshua O'Leary

[...]

Does the problem occur on all user accounts or just yours? Also, if
you run vlc -v, does it give you any errors in the terminal?
Joshua

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Joshua O'Leary
<joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Does the problem occur on all user accounts or just yours?

Happens in all accounts. It is interesting though that in my account
I see this notice as mplayer is starting up:

Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
libavcodec version 53.35.0 (external)
Mismatching header version 53.32.2
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)

I never noticed this before, but when it was working, I didn't look, either.

Also, not in my account but another, there are X11 errors for an
integer value out of range when I go to full screen, but not if the
scale is left alone. I don't remember seeing this before, either.

> Also, if you run
> vlc -v, does it give you any errors in the terminal?

Yes, many, usually having to do with oddities in the video, but
they're all coming out completely blank. One of the reasons I used
VLC at all was that it had better recovery from video glitches than
other players.

I'm thinking one of my video drivers or codecs is failing where it
didn't before, but I have reinstalled everything and they're still not
behaving as before.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Joshua O'Leary

[...]

What graphics card driver do you have? (run sudo lscpi or sudo
lshw -c html > hw.htm if you don't know). If it is a
proprietary one then that can often cause problems (e.g. NVIDIA or
old ATI). What errors does VLC/mplayer give exactly? Mplayer errors
can be turned to very verbose by running mplayer -msglevel all=9.
Vlc should also output some error/warning messages.

Joshua