Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM
MR ZenWiz

Default Removing everything from a particular repository

I seem to have made the mistake of downloading some software from a
repository whose software either is defective or just doesn't work
right. I'd like to get rid of everything that may have been pulled in
from that repository.

How can I do that?

Thanks.

MR

Old 06-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Janne Jokitalo

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34:17PM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I seem to have made the mistake of downloading some software from a
> repository whose software either is defective or just doesn't work
> right. I'd like to get rid of everything that may have been pulled in
> from that repository.
>
> How can I do that?

Hi, there seems to be at least two options for this:

- after removing the repository, run in terminal:

$ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions

$ apt-show-versions | grep 'No available'

- or while still having the repository available, in Synaptic, use the "Origin"
filter

Haven't tested these myself, found on (quite old) ubuntuforums archive. Worth a
shot, still.

--
Jaska

Old 06-28-2012, 07:04 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@kapsi.fi> wrote:

> Hi, there seems to be at least two options for this:
> - after removing the repository, run in terminal:
> $ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
> $ apt-show-versions | grep 'No available'

The only ones that show up are those I expect - libreoffice,
virtualbox, cupswrapper and my printer driver.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Janne Jokitalo

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:04:03AM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@kapsi.fi> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, there seems to be at least two options for this:
> > - after removing the repository, run in terminal:
> > $ sudo apt-get install apt-show-versions
> > $ apt-show-versions | grep 'No available'
> >

> The only ones that show up are those I expect - libreoffice,
> virtualbox, cupswrapper and my printer driver.

Probably unneeded, but I'll confirm, did you update the package database after
removing the repository?

What about the other method?

--
Jaska

Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@kapsi.fi> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:04:03AM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>>
>> The only ones that show up are those I expect - libreoffice,
>> virtualbox, cupswrapper and my printer driver.
>
> Probably unneeded, but I'll confirm, did you update the package database after
> removing the repository?

Yes.

> What about the other method?

I had already removed the repositories, keys, etc.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Janne Jokitalo

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 07:36:00AM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Janne Jokitalo <astraljava@kapsi.fi> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:04:03AM -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> >>
> >> The only ones that show up are those I expect - libreoffice,
> >> virtualbox, cupswrapper and my printer driver.
> >
> > Probably unneeded, but I'll confirm, did you update the package database after
> > removing the repository?
> >
> Yes.

Ok.

> > What about the other method?
> >
> I had already removed the repositories, keys, etc.

I'd say worth a shot, nonetheless, if you already didn't. I never did this
myself, so I'm not sure whether it's a prerequisite or not.

--
Jaska