Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 AM
MR ZenWiz

Default sshd not accepting connections

After my update to xubuntu 12.04 at work, I can no longer ssh into the
machine. I have a samba share set up that mounts flawlessly on my
Windows XP laptop, but neither ping nor ssh work.

At first I discovered that I didn't have sshd, but I installed OpenSSL
and the daemon is running, but no connection.

I've never really looked into this before, but I will say that when
the box was running Maverick, it had no such problems at all.

Suggestions welcome - thanks in advance.

MR

Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 AM
Knute Johnson

After my update to xubuntu 12.04 at work, I can no longer ssh into the
machine. I have a samba share set up that mounts flawlessly on my
Windows XP laptop, but neither ping nor ssh work.

At first I discovered that I didn't have sshd, but I installed OpenSSL
and the daemon is running, but no connection.

I've never really looked into this before, but I will say that when
the box was running Maverick, it had no such problems at all.

Suggestions welcome - thanks in advance.

MR

Do you have a firewall enabled? Can you telnet into it locally or from
another computer?

--

Knute Johnson

Old 06-28-2012, 03:25 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> Do you have a firewall enabled? *Can you telnet into it locally or from
> another computer?

I didn't explicitly install a firewall, I sort of assumed that the
default would come with the installation (and I vaguely remember
seeing that come up during the install process).

However, I can't ping it, ssh to it and now it appears I also can't
telnet to it.

MR

Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Knute Johnson

Do you have a firewall enabled? Can you telnet into it locally or from
another computer?

I didn't explicitly install a firewall, I sort of assumed that the
default would come with the installation (and I vaguely remember
seeing that come up during the install process).

However, I can't ping it, ssh to it and now it appears I also can't
telnet to it.

MR

Can you telnet to it from itself and see the banner?

--

Knute Johnson

Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> Can you telnet to it from itself and see the banner?

I'll let you know (can't reach it from home :-).

Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM
uteck

Was that a typo when you said you installed OpenSSL? You did mean
openssh-server right?

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> After my update to xubuntu 12.04 at work, I can no longer ssh into the
> machine. *I have a samba share set up that mounts flawlessly on my
> Windows XP laptop, but neither ping nor ssh work.
>
> At first I discovered that I didn't have sshd, but I installed OpenSSL
> and the daemon is running, but no connection.
>
> I've never really looked into this before, but I will say that when
> the box was running Maverick, it had no such problems at all.
>
> Suggestions welcome - thanks in advance.
>
> MR

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 5:59 AM, uteck <theuteck@gmail.com> wrote:
> Was that a typo when you said you installed OpenSSL? *You did mean
> openssh-server right?

Yes. My fingers keep trying to sabotage me like that, and too often
they succeed....

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:40 PM
MR ZenWiz

Update:

No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default" configuration I got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.

In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).

So I have no firewall running.

I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years with Unix & Linux.* (sigh)

Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Ralf ranfyy

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Update:
>
> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

There is no telnet server installed by default.

> I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default" configuration I
> got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.
>
> In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).
>
> So I have no firewall running.
>
> I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years with
> Unix & Linux.* (sigh)

First check that it is installed:
$ dpkg -l openssh-server

Then if it is running:
$ ps ax | grep ssh
and
$ sudo service sshd status

Then if it is listening on the right port:
$ sudo netstat -tlpen

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Knute Johnson

On 6/28/2012 2:15 PM, Ralf ranfyy wrote:

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

Update:

No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

There is no telnet server installed by default.

Yeah, maybe I should have been more clear on that. I meant telnet into
the ssh server.

telnet server 22

--

Knute Johnson