Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default sshd not accepting connections

On Jun 29, 2012 9:51 AM, "Joshua O&apos;Leary" <joshua.oleary@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 28/06/12 20:40, MR ZenWiz wrote:

>> Update:

>> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

>> I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default" configuration I got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.

>> In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).

>> So I have no firewall running.

>> I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years with Unix & Linux.* (sigh)

> When you ssh/telnet into a host, are you doing it by hostname or ip? If you are just doing it by hostname, try doing it by ip - some routers can be very glitchy (e.g. homehub 3) with assigning ip addresses to hostnames.

Always by IP addr - my machine doesn't map to a name (because I run ubuntu instead of Windows...).

Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Knute Johnson

On 6/29/2012 9:57 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

OK, great. Then attempt to ssh into it from a terminal and see what sort of
error you get or not.

ssh localhost

That works now.

I'd like to run the firewall, but I need the samba connection. How do
I preserve it?

You need to know what ports samba uses. I haven't played with samba in
a long time but I'm sure somebody on the list will know. Then when you
start the firewall you open those ports and it should all work. The
syntax for ufw is fairly complicated, I have to read the man page every
time I want change my port settings.

sudo ufw enable - turns on the firewall and closes all ports
sudo ufw allow 22 - opens port 22 for ssh

--

Knute Johnson