Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Ralf ranfyy

Default sshd not accepting connections

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> On 6/28/2012 2:15 PM, Ralf ranfyy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Update:
>>>
>>> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.
>>

>> There is no telnet server installed by default.
>

> Yeah, maybe I should have been more clear on that. *I meant telnet into the
> ssh server.
>
> telnet server 22

Ah right. I forgot that that works too as a check:

$ telnet localhost 22
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu7
^C
Connection closed by foreign host.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Jun 28, 2012 2:15 PM, "Ralf ranfyy" <ranfyy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Update:

> > No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

> There is no telnet server installed by default.

> > I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default" configuration I

> > got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.

> > In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).

> > So I have no firewall running.

> > I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years with

> > Unix & Linux.* (sigh)

> First check that it is installed:

> *$ dpkg -l openssh-server

That looks good.

> Then if it is running:

> *$ ps ax | grep ssh

> and

> *$ sudo service sshd status

Ps shows several outgoing ssh's and one sshd -D.

Service status says "unrecognized service."

> Then if it is listening on the right port:

> *$ sudo netstat -tlpen

This only shows tcp and tcp6.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Mark

On Jun 28, 2012 2:18 PM, "Knute Johnson" <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/2012 2:15 PM, Ralf ranfyy wrote:

>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Update:

>>> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

>> There is no telnet server installed by default.

> Yeah, maybe I should have been more clear on that. *I meant telnet into the ssh server.

> telnet server 22

That works.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:48 PM
Knute Johnson

On 6/28/2012 4:21 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> Then if it is running:
> $ ps ax | grep ssh
> and
> $ sudo service sshd status

Ps shows several outgoing ssh's and one sshd -D.

Service status says "unrecognized service."

> Then if it is listening on the right port:
> $ sudo netstat -tlpen
This only shows tcp and tcp6.

Is there an entry that looks like this?

tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN 0 7036 854/sshd

Look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config and find the Port option and make sure it
says Port 22. In fact you could post that config file without the comments.

And it should be sudo service ssh status and that should show the -D
service running.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 06-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Ric Moore

On 06/28/2012 03:40 PM, MR ZenWiz wrote:

Update:

No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default"
configuration I got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it doesn't work.

In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).

So I have no firewall running.

I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all my years
with Unix & Linux. (sigh)

I feel your pain. I USED to use ssh in the olde days. Now, it not
workie. Wazzup wid dat? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Ralf ranfyy

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Then if it is running:
>> *$ ps ax | grep ssh
>> and
>> *$ sudo service sshd status
>>
> Ps shows several outgoing ssh's and one sshd -D.

Uh, I wonder why it has -D there.
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/en/man8/sshd.8.html

I'd stop the ssh server:
$ sudo service ssh stop

start it in debug mode:
$ sudo /usr/sbin/sshd -d

then open a second terminal and try to connect to it:
$ ssh localhost

You should get some debug output in the terminal where you started sshd.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Jun 28, 2012 2:18 PM, "Knute Johnson" <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:

> On 6/28/2012 2:15 PM, Ralf ranfyy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:40 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> No, I can't telnet to it from itself.
>
> Yeah, maybe I should have been more clear on that. *I meant telnet into
> the ssh server.
>
> telnet server 22

That works.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Ralf ranfyy <ranfyy@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ps shows several outgoing ssh's and one sshd -D.
>
> Uh, I wonder why it has -D there.

I was wondering about that, too. I'll ahve to look in the /etc/init.d
script....

> I'd stop the ssh server:
> *$ sudo service ssh stop
>
> start it in debug mode:
> *$ sudo /usr/sbin/sshd -d
>
> then open a second terminal and try to connect to it:
> *$ ssh localhost
>
> You should get some debug output in the terminal where you started sshd.

I'll give it a shot when I get the chance (tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Joshua O'Leary

On 28/06/12 20:40, MR ZenWiz wrote:

Update:

No, I can't telnet to it from itself.

I tried installing ufw and gufw, but even with the "default"
configuration I got from the Debian to-do list for Precise, it
doesn't work.

In fact, that configuration also blocks my samba shares (!).

So I have no firewall running.

I'm still kind of a novice with network stuff, even after all
my years with Unix & Linux.* (sigh)

When you ssh/telnet into a host, are you doing it by hostname or ip?
If you are just doing it by hostname, try doing it by ip - some
routers can be very glitchy (e.g. homehub 3) with assigning ip
addresses to hostnames.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Knute Johnson

Well now you know the server is running. You just have to figure out why you can't connect.

What do you get from sudo ufw status?