Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM
Joshua O'Leary

Default VLC on fullscreen in XFCE

Hi,
Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in fullscreen
under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using the hotkey
F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same thing,
and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC (2.1.0-git)
from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks
Joshua

Old 06-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Benoit

+1
noticed too and not found a solution yet.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Joshua O'Leary

noticed too and not found a solution yet.

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in
fullscreen under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video.
Using the hotkey F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still
does the same thing, and it still happens using the latest daily
build of VLC (2.1.0-git) from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution
to this?

Thanks
Joshua

Same here.
Paul

A rather hackish workaround would be to make a wrapper script for VLC,
with these commands:

killall xfce4-panel && vlc && xfce4-panel

That way, the panel is killed before VLC runs, and loaded again when it
is closed.

Joshua

Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Joshua O'Leary

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:42:46 -0700, Benoit
noticed too and not found a solution yet.

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in
fullscreen under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the
video. Using the hotkey F instead of clicking the fullscreen
button still does the same thing, and it still happens using
the latest daily build of VLC (2.1.0-git) from the PPA. Has
anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks

Joshua

Same here.

Paul

Seems that a bug has already been filed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-panel/+bug/1005175

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Ric Moore

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in fullscreen
under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using the hotkey
F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same thing,
and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC (2.1.0-git)
from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Works fine here, fully updated. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Joshua O'Leary

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in
fullscreen

under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using
the hotkey

F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same
thing,

and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC
(2.1.0-git)

from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Works fine here, fully updated. Ric

What is the output of apt-cache policy vlc on your machine?
The standard ubuntu precise version is

2.0.1-4, which is affected by the bug.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Joshua O'Leary

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in
fullscreen

under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using
the hotkey

F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same
thing,

and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC
(2.1.0-git)

from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Works fine here, fully updated. Ric

I seem to have found the actual problem - a bad vlc configuration.
Running

rm -r ~/.config/vlc seems to have solved the problem for me,
at least for now. Why didn't I think of this before?!

Old 06-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Ru

to fix this for me, in VLC I went to Tools Preferences Video and un-checked* Windows Decorations.
seem to do the job.

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in
fullscreen

under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using
the hotkey

F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same
thing,

and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC
(2.1.0-git)

from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Works fine here, fully updated. Ric

I seem to have found the actual problem - a bad vlc configuration.
Running

rm -r ~/.config/vlc seems to have solved the problem for me,
at least for now. Why didn't I think of this before?!

"Never Let anyone
Tell You How To Live Your Life,
Value Your Freedom"

~Rebecca McCarthy (1947-1998)~

Old 06-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Ric Moore

Has anyone noticed that VLC doesn't play videos properly in fullscreen
under XFCE? The panel is still visible above the video. Using the hotkey
F instead of clicking the fullscreen button still does the same thing,
and it still happens using the latest daily build of VLC (2.1.0-git)
from the PPA. Has anyone found a solution to this?

Works fine here, fully updated. Ric

What is the output of *apt-cache policy vlc* on your machine? The
standard ubuntu precise version is
2.0.1-4, which is affected by the bug.

ric@Iam:~$ apt-cache policy vlc
vlc:
Installed: 2.0.1-4
Candidate: 2.0.1-4
Version table:
*** 2.0.1-4 0
500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe amd64
Packages

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
ric@Iam:~$

But, I am not seeing behavior from full screen as described. When I
toggle full screen, all of the menus go away within seconds if I either
move my mouse from that screen or just don't jiggle the mouse. I'm
seeing video and nothing else. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html