Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Mike Kupfer

Default xwindow / xfcr crashing in 12.04?

newcontact@comcast.net wrote:

> One thing still bugs me: After I restored my settings, once again I
> put an xdaliclock at the upper left hand corner of the screen. I then
> rebooted the mmachine, and wa la, the xdaliclock now shows up in the
> middle of the screen! The rest of x-window functions properly. Is
> this a quirk of xdaliclock or is there something more serious going
> on?

Hmm. If you removed xdaliclock from the startup applications, but it
starts when you log in, then it sounds like xdaliclock was saved as part
of your session. So why the next session would start the clock in the
middle of the screen is not something I have an answer for.

There are probably ways to make the clock start where you want. If the
clock supports X resource settings, that might be the easiest way to do
it reliably. Assuming there's a man page for xdaliclock, it should say
whether it supports resources. If you're not familiar with X resource
files in general, take a look at the X and xrdb man pages. (Also take a
look at the section on Geometry Specifications in the X man page if
you're not familiar with X's geometry syntax.)

cheers,
mike